hdd problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

saddler1red

Solid State Member
Hi
hope someone can help!!
I had a friends comp which kept shutting down so i ordered a new PSU which i fitted and every thing worked great.

UNTIL i tried to update his avg antivirus which started to update then froze half way through and shut down the comp,so i switched it back on after going through the POST it stopped and said install boot disk.

So i looked in the bios and found no hdd was found so i tried to detect it which it didnt,where it said to put in cylinder ect was not highlighted so i couldnt put it in manually.

I have tried 6 different hdds all doing the same thing,i thought the ide controller was gone but i tried a dvd rom in it and it showed up,argghhhhhh been on it 2 days now and have a terrible headache.
any thoughts plz
its a via board and a 40 gig hdd.

thanks.

Pretty weird problem.Have you tried to install the hard disk on another pc?Is it working there?It could be a motherboard problem.

Yes mate tried it on another and booted straight up,ye it is so weird never came across anything like this i have even order a pci card with 2 IDE`S on but now it booted the dvd rom up im having seconds thoughts now.

Also if its a motherboard prob what could it be as everything else works ok on there eg dvd rom, i thought i might be a bios prob as it might not be able to detect big drives but it worked before weird weird!!!!!!

mind you it detected it but have not tried booting from it ill try booting from it.

mmmm well the dvd rom does boot sometimes now it just comes to booting from cd rom, light stops on the dvd rom (solid light)and stops like that without going any further.
helpppppp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom