$200 to spend...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkMortar

In Runtime
I'm thinking about using the $200 US I will get for christmas on a new video card.

But here's the general set-up:

2.6Ghz HT
1.5GB DDR400 ram
radeon 9800 pro 128MB (current)

Ok, after looking at all the possible video cards that can be purchased at or below $200, there are a lot of choices. And I would like to know upfront, which is the best choice.

Ok, the card MUST be AGP as my radeon 9800, and also my secondary limitation is my processor, being only 2.6Ghz, I dont know how much the bottleneck will effect me, so help me choose here...

Or better yet, get an x800gto, and get a C2D. depends on what you slot you have of course.
I don't know anything about p4's

I suggest you use that money and buy a new motherboard. You can find one fairly inexpensively, with a PCIe slot, and still have money to buy a fairly good mid range card.

No use in upgrading antiquated technology, ya know what I mean?

but im an all or nothing guy, i need this card NOW. lol, and mobos cost money too, and then id have to delay a new cpu even more, so basically that means a new computer completly...

Alright, whatever. In this hobby, all or nothing NOW is not a good practice, trust me.

If you can tell me what the socket is of your processor, I am sure that I can help you out.

Alright then, I take it back.... Looks like AGP is your only option within a reasonable price range.

I suggest you get this card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161032

I know it is ATI, but

A) All of Nvidia's AGP cards are dumbed down versions of better cards, underclocked with lower memory.

B) I am ATI biased. I like Nvidia and all, but ATI has been good to me.

That card should be able to handle the future pretty well, and
definitely the present.

EDIT: Just saw the card you linked to, GREAT card. I say go for it for sure. Forget everything I just said, and go buy that card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom