Computer is freezing...but it shouldn't be =O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messerschmitt

Solid State Member
Hello, I got my brand-new PC assembled by a friend of mine, and all seems fine and dandy... untill i play games... Half-life ONE cs dod Mods and such freeze my computer, and it only takes about One minute. and all my other games freeze it, but not as quickly. thinking i got a new pc, I left all these problems behind...but i was wrong, im pretty sure my drivers are up-to-date, but im not sure. im also pretty sure its not a cooling problem, because i set up a monster house fan, and that didnt help, and probably was pretty stupid.

I am quite the über n00b and require assistance, any imput is much appreiciated. thank you for your time!

my defected-though-shouldn't-be computer specs

amd athlon 64X2 dual core 2.1 ghz
2 gigs of RAM
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS
a big hard-drive
400 watt PS

Its your Power Supply Component:)

Basically your graphics card demands much more power then it's giving and it's freezing up.

You need to buy a better power supply. I can point you in the right direction.

i got the one built in with the machine and my nerd-o friend said it was fine
do i need a BETTER one as in more wattage?

How come some games (like Red orchestra, Rise of nations ) can run for hours at a time and CS freezes up immediatly? and is there any way i can temporarly divert more power to the Graphics card or make it use less power, without damaging something?

older games ask for less power from the cpu and the graphic because well... their old and this means less power is needed.

like Lord AnthraX said u need a stronger Power supply.
since u said it came with the case im guessing its a 20pin Power supply, which of course is pretty weak. new systems like mine and urs recommends using a 24pin because it has more amps under the 12+ range.

open up ur system and tell me how much amps (eg 26A) ur power supply says under the 12+ number, if its close to 15A or under it i recommend getting a stronger one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom