AMD Cool n' Quiet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerman

Solid State Member
I've read a number of things recently about how this... well... sucks. It causes lag in games, takes up system resources, and such.

It also might be the source of a problem I've been having due to (90% sure this is the case) a driver causing blue screens. And also, if I can gain a few fps in Oblivion I'll take it.

Basically, what is cool n' quiet and should I get rid of it?

I downloaded and installed a cool n' quiet driver back when (about 2 weeks ago) I put my computer together. It's not in add/remove programs though... so if I should get rid of it how do I go about doing it?

My guess would be go directly into your program files. You shouldn't have to delete it though. There should be an option to disable it. Check your Bios, it might be in there.

It makes your processor run at a lower clock speed for heat advantages and to save on voltage to I believe. It can cause problems too, if you start a game and the engine recognizes your 4000+ as a 1.5 GHz then it won't let you install or similiar problems I've heard of.

cool n' quiet lowers the processor vcore (voltage) to 1.1v and halves it's clockspeed. other than what m733mhz said it doesn't really disadvantage you at all as it only lowers the processors speed when it does not require the speed. a 4000+ would be detected as 1.2GHz under cool n' quiet but would become 2.4GHz as soon as you open a game. it really just prolongs the life of your processor and saves power.

my old DFI lanparty had this feature. I never used it but I did read about how if it detected a raise in volts which means that the proc is heating up then it will either shutdown the pc or lower clock speed. it's a pretty good idea but not reccommended for gamers imo.

Well, I'm not a gamer. I'm just playing Oblivion at the moment and my FPS is kinda low because of my crappy video card. But I guess prolonging the life of my processor is pretty important, heh, so it sounds like I should keep it.

Thanks!

Hardware lasts some... 100 million hours or something before it wears out, I don't think Cool n' Quiet will prolong it too much..

Besides, before you even spend 500,000 hours on your computer, you'll probably have a new one, custom built or bought from a manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom