Symantec Ghost users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh

Desktop Engineer
I have used this program maybe 3 or 4 times, and atleast 2 years ago. Knowledge of the program is required for some contract work I'll be doing for a company. I've also noticed that many others like for you to have experience with it as well. I learn extremely quick and can figure out how to use software easily, but how in depth is Symantec Ghost? I have an A+ cert and have been working in PC Repair for years now, so it should be pretty easy to learn about before I start right? Thanks everyone.

it depends on the level that ghost is used.
Ghost is really pretty easy from the GUI mode. It's understanding how to leverage it from a script side that pays off. You can write code to automate a lot of stuff if you understand Ghost.

Their documentation is really good on it, and it's all free if you know the version, just download the admin/user guide and look it over.

Good luck with the job.

ghost is old, Acronis is better.

you can take a single image and deply it to any hardware

What version of Ghost are you using? It's pretty easy and self explanatory once you get into the menus. Even if you are using an old version like 6.0, you can boot off a boot disk and run it before the OS, and create an image to disc.

Symantec has some video tutorials on their web site. I recommend watching those before you start your gig.

bilbus said:
ghost is old, Acronis is better.

you can take a single image and deply it to any hardware

that what everybody said so I tried it out extensively for the past 4 months.

acronis has the potential to be the best, it has a thousand features. however it just fails a lot. I had at least 15 instances of an unbootable system in the last 3 months using their disc director and enterprise server. I've had 2 instance of them not backing the files up correctly to restore systems so it couldn't copy them back

I finally quit and went back to what has alway work for me. Powerquest's Drive image 7 and their partition magic 8. if I try something with these products that isn't possible, they warn me in advance that I might have an unbootable system (I will cancel the process). acronis with overwrite anything and leave you with an unbootable system

ghost and are based off of drive image too. symantec bought them out.

Yeah I agree, I've never tried Drive Image but heard lots of good things about it, and Ghost has never failed me yet. So I stick with Ghost just because it's reliability and it does just about anything I want it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom