computer is a nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbcudenver

Solid State Member
here is my long story. I built my first computer about 2 months ago. everything was fine until a few days after I built it. I was using the computer and then suddenly it stoped working, I saw that the powersupply had burnt out, I got a replacement from tiger.(it was an aspire)500 w. Then when the replacement came, I ran it for a few hours and went to bed. in the morning it would not turn on. I have an old 20 pin powersupply that i used to test the computer, sure enough it powered on the pcu fan, fans, . So is sent it back for credit. and bought a ultra, top of the line 550w,power supply it cost me $100 bucks. I installed it last night and played americas army for a while, switched it off for a while and started it up again, no porblems, then went to bed and it would not power up in the morning, took out the old powersupply it it powers the fans, I am getting tired of this, All I know is that it seem to be happening when the computer is off at night. The only thing I think it could be is the motherboard,causing to to draw power at night without its fan running. one thing to note is that I shut down the computer using start>shutdown, and leave it plugged into the wall at night, I dont think the compuer is comming on at night because it is loud and would wake me .
I would greatly appreciate any comments on this
Thanks
Brett

Don't really have a clue for this one. I would double check all of the connections from the front panel to the motherboard (power switch, etc.) to make sure they are on the right pins and that there is no short. Try disconnecting all except the power on and see what happens. Shouldn't hurt leaving the computer plugged into the wall at night. Might not hurt to double check the bios, if you can get into it, under power management.

Let us know what happens.

DeeJay

I would pull everything out and start over. Make sure all the standoffs on the motherboard are lined up with holes in the motherboard making sure they are not shorting somewhere. I would check each connection and look at the pins checking to see if there is a bent or pushed in pin somewhere. Then I would buy a good power supply like A Antec or Thermaltake power Supply.

i know this is a bit farfetched but have you considered a surge is coming from your plug socket in the wall, maybe get a surge protector and see if it stays working

i dont think that it is a surge, i mean happening 2 nights? i dont think so. but i do think that it might be your mobo that is shorting out your psu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom