Building First Comp...

Status
Not open for further replies.
didn't mean to say take up a lot of space =/ ment to say things that require a lot of power for them to run well. CPU power... sounds stupid i know cant really explain it.

Monster00 said:
didn't mean to say take up a lot of space =/ ment to say things that require a lot of power for them to run well. CPU power... sounds stupid i know cant really explain it.

How about...
Wait for it.......
Processing power. :D
You really can't explain it any furthur than that. As for dual systems, I will never go with a single chip again. I love how every install screen blips and then its done. Could also be the RAID helping out in that respect too.

You really can't explain it any furthur than that. As for dual systems, I will never go with a single chip again. I love how every install screen blips and then its done. Could also be the RAID helping out in that respect too.

NCISAGENT said:
errr opps...

anyway

do you mean that you use dual procs for your desktop?

Yes, I keep saying I have a vp6 motherboard based system, with two 1.0GHz p3's. Its much faster than any of my friends single chip systems, even those nice p4's. The p4's arch. slows the chip down, all those deep/big pipes.

If you were to compare theoretically:
A p3 and p4 running both at 1.0GHz, the p3 would run about 20% faster. Its bandwidth pipes aren't as complex, those complex pipes take more time to push information through..... That's why I would rather use a dual p3 or dual p3 Tualatin anytime over a p4.

Ps- My p3s are the ones that support a 133mhz bus.

Laserman, have you been looking at my orders on Newegg? LOL. I just ordered the same mobo u mentioned (Asus P4C800-E Deluxe) and the P4 3.2E (u mentioned the 3.2C and not sure of difference if any). Well anyway I posted a question I had about these 2 components in the Hardware thread.

I just opened my mobo today and when reading the manual it appears that the Asus only has 512kb L2 cache (not even sure what that means) but the CPU has 1mb L2 cache so im wondering if the bios can be flashed (don't exactly know what that means either) so that the computer can utilize the 1mb cache or not. Anyone got any answers?

I also bought 2X512 Corsair DDR & ATI 9800 Pro 256 bit...should be nice system when I'm done.

jwatc75 said:
Laserman, have you been looking at my orders on Newegg? LOL. I just ordered the same mobo u mentioned (Asus P4C800-E Deluxe) and the P4 3.2E (u mentioned the 3.2C and not sure of difference if any). Well anyway I posted a question I had about these 2 components in the Hardware thread.

I just opened my mobo today and when reading the manual it appears that the Asus only has 512kb L2 cache (not even sure what that means) but the CPU has 1mb L2 cache so im wondering if the bios can be flashed (don't exactly know what that means either) so that the computer can utilize the 1mb cache or not. Anyone got any answers?

I also bought 2X512 Corsair DDR & ATI 9800 Pro 256 bit...should be nice system when I'm done.

A processor has L1 Cache and L2 cache, L1 cache is always smaller than L2. If your board says it supports that processor it really should support the cache amount. If not you have to check with the mobo manufacturer to see if they have an updated bios that will add this support. It should be under the support section of their site..

UPDATE:
-----------
I found the site with the bios's for that board. Version 16 of that boards bios is out with updates for the supported cpus. I am not sure what version your board has loaded but it may do you good to up the version to 16 if it is not.
http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P4C800-E Deluxe&Type=All&SLanguage=en-us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom