what type of RAM this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a reason why they had to be matched, they have to be matched pairs because the data bus is double the actual stick. Like having a 32bit data bus and the sticks only being 16bit they would need to be put into pairs to create the 32bit data bus. Or something along those lines.

wow, that thing is kinda old.[lol] what do u guys want to upgrade? do u got the budget to upgrade the mobo, cpu, ram, psu, and vid?(bout 300-500$, depending on brands/preformance u want, low as 200 if u wanna go basic)

come to think of it, isnt that ram usually found in pc's with pentium 1's and 486's?

come to think of it, isnt that ram usually found in pc's with pentium 1's and 486's?
yes
this memory fits in somewhere around late 486 to late Pentium.

There is a reason why they had to be matched, they have to be matched pairs because the data bus is double the actual stick. Like having a 32bit data bus and the sticks only being 16bit they would need to be put into pairs to create the 32bit data bus. Or something along those lines.

that makes sense, it would probably only apply to Pentium or later processor based pcs. if i remember correctly the Pentium was the first to have a 64 bit I/O BUS while EDO memory still operated on a 32 bit interface. so in a way i guess it was similar to dual channel but rather than doubling the memory bitwidth it was required just to operate. dual channel increases memory bitwidth from 64 bit to 128 bit whereas this produces 64 bit alone.

let's see if I remember correctly:
with EDO RAM, each byte had to be split up between the two RAM sticks; each ram stick had a certain number of chips, which were 1 bit by X bits, and they were put in this configuration:

...........RAM stick 1..............................................RAM stick 2
[ ]...[ ]...[ ]...[ ]...[ ]...[ ]...[ ]...[ ]........[ ]...[ ]...[ ]...[ ]...[ ]...[ ]...[ ]...[ ]
[ ]...[ ]...[ ]...[ ]...[ ]...[ ]...[ ]...[ ]........[ ]...[ ]...[ ]...[ ]...[ ]...[ ]...[ ]...[ ]

each column of "[ ]" represents a RAM chip, and each line represents one byte of memory (except the real RAM would actually be double the number of chips, and a lot lot more lines)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom