CPU overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

albn

Beta member
I just bought a new setup with a P4 3GHz, 512 megs of 400 MHz RAM and a pretty decent motherboard (ABIT IC7-G). Problem is, I have this serious heat issue. I know I installed the heatsink correctly, added the thermal compund, and added extra case fans, a better power supply and is still running around 70-75C!!!

I have considered adding a fan to the video card (radeon 7500 should not cause this serious of a heat issue), but that is reaching. Lastly, I have never seen a P4 run this hot before.

Any suggestions?

I've got the same chip, they tend to run on the hot side. But, 75C is too hot. Is that you idle temp? How are you monitoring the temp? Through the BIOS or temp mod? Also, are you using the stock heat sink with that godforsaken "Thermal Interface Material"<-- as Intel likes to call it.

How many fans? How many are intake/exhaust?

Yes, I was moitoring it in the BIOS. Yes, I installed the thermal paste, and is the idle temp. I am in windows now, looking as I play, and is saying it is 63C... that is still way warm.

I have the stock heatsink and thermal goop.

Should I invest in a fridge? haha

ha ha, no.

How are your fans configured?
What is the room temperature?
Are you sure the CPU fan is spinning correctly? Have you checked your fan speeds in the BIOS?

I've got a hard time believing that the CPU is hitting a temp that high. Is it crashing or freezing up on you?
You are about MAX or above MAX temp. . . is the box on fire?

i think you should invest in a new fan... since you still have the stock fan you should get a new one since the stock one isan't that good. Go to thermaltake.com and look at the fans they have there.

get a ThermalRight SP-94 wit a decent fan. its be best cooler on the market with some arctic silver 5 and u should be sorted. make sure uve got a gud air in air out flow goin. theres no point blowin hot air onto a already hot heatsink, no gonna do much.

if your using the stock heat-sink I don't think you can use and after market CPU fan. If i'm not mistaken the heatsink and the CPU fan are all one unit.

I found the problem... I did not research before buying, and should have looked to http://www.anandtech.com/ before buying. Okay... I have owned the two hottest chips on the market... the Barton core on the AMD and the Prescott core on the Intel.

The Prescott core has more transistors and more cache, and consumes a lot of energy to run. Therefore, until I get a fridge, it will always run hot. I would stay away from that core and stick with Northwood until the Prescott cores are solved.

Here are the reviews:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=2026

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom