Windows XP Home Hangs on Restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmartin

Beta member
I have a toshiba Satellite M45-S331 that hangs at the 'windows is shutting down' screen when I try to use the start/turnoff computer/restart function. The unit works properly when I select shut down instead of restart. I have already re-installed the original files/windows from the toshiba re-install disk that came with the computer. I have checked various websites and have upgraded all of my drivers. Does anyone know what I should check next? Is there a file that may be corrupt? Also, when I plug my USB flash memory (I have two, Sandisk and Lexar) the system hangs. I checked task manager during the hang and the CPU usage is 100%. Are these two issues related? I have also done all of the Microsoft updates.

Thanks for any help,

Yes, I ran several anti-virus/spyware programs. I reformatted the drive as a part of re-installing the toshiba disks (windows).

I have norton anti-virus running. Other than windows I really don't have much installed (toshiba installed a few programs as trial, but I haven't launched any of them. There is nothing in my startup file. I am wondering what the file is that gets called up during a restart as opposed to a shutdown?

What version of Norton AV is this, you might want to disable it from checking your floppy and media during boot and shutdown. That's one of the problem with Norton is that it will hang when this happen.

Try this, disable Norton and try shutting down. If the problem disappear. You have your culprit.

OK. I installed windows XP Pro and still have the problem. I reformatted the HDD when I installed it and did all the windows updates. So now I believe that there is something going on with the usb ports that is causing the problems. When the system is up and running it seems to work fine, but as soon as I install a usb device, the system hangs. Also, if I turn off the computer and install a usb device, the system will not boot, in safe or normal mode. The system is under warranty from Best Buy (the computer has been there 4 times and they tell me everything is fine), so it is going back -again. Do you have any experiences with Best Buy or the geek squad? They don't seem very thorough in their work (to me). One of the reps told me that the power issue was something that I would just have to deal with, basically just hold the power button until it turns off. That's sort of like buying a manual transmission car and having the service rep tell you that they don't know why the ignition doesn't work, but the good news is that you can push start it???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom