Hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoTEK

Beta member
In my next build I am going to include a watercooling loop built to be completely silent. The only thing I can't control is the noise the hard drive makes, so I need to find the quietest one I can get. I would like it to be Sata II, have 16mb of cache, and be at least 250 gb. What brand or type do you suggest?

i would also recommend seagate because they are very reliable. as opposed to maxtors which suck @$$. i've had bad expericnces with maxtor. and the warranty on seagate is 5 years and maxtor is only 1 :(.

Yeah that's the direction I was going. I just want to know if someone here has first hand experience with it.

there are three main noises caused by hdds

1. the sound of the platters rotating, especially while spinning up
2. sound of the head moving
3. vibration against the pc case

the vibration can easily be solved using rubber/silicon grommets to "decouple" the hdd from the case. to virtually completely silence it there are 5.25" enclosures.

I have never heard of that I-Ram, seems pretty cool. I'm definately going to need more than 8 gbs though.

I personally have 3 Seagate Barracudas and 1 Western Digital Caviar (i believe, not 100% sure). In terms of sound levels, my WD is louder than all 3 Seagates, and my 120 mm ThermalTake Blue Orb heatsink is louder than my WD. Even then, the level of noise is very low. Can't hear it over normal volume talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom