installing pci card

Status
Not open for further replies.

gb5567

Beta member
Hi, I just purchased a PCI to ATA/133 card so I can add an additional HDD to my PC. I installed the card properly (i do not have the additional HDD hooked up to the card), booted up my PC and Windows XP found the new hardware, but found it as something other than a pci card and automatically installed drivers. It did it so fast, I only caught something about USB... It never asked me if i wanted to search for drivers or anything, which is what i needed as the drivers are on the included cd-rom. I searched through the device manager, but I have no clue what it installed it as. I installed the drivers for the card manually through the add new hardware wizard, and they show up in the device manager, but with the yellow exclamation point saying the device is not working properly, I'm guessing since it was installed as something else this is why? I tried system restore, but it didn't uninstall whatever XP originally thought it was because the add new hardware never came up on reboot. I'm guessing if I can just find out what it installed it as I could just uninstall it, then either reboot, or install the drivers manually, but I have no idea. Any help?!?

Windows probably installed a generic driver. I would just install the drivers from the disk like you want to and let it go about it business. If you have no issues with it after it's done, then you good to go...

Hmm, so even if there are generic ones installed by windows, the drivers from the disc should still work when installed? I installed the ones from the disc, but then I get one of the ole' Yellow exclamation points that it's not working anymore...I figured it to be because of the drivers, but maybe it's another problem.

Does it work properly as what windows installed it as? If it does just leave it. Why fix something thats not broken.

Uhm, no. If it worked I wouldn't be posting, I'd definitely just let it go. But it's not working, because windows installed it as the wrong hardware, and if i could just figure out what it installed it as, i think i'd be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom