Win98 dual HDD issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumblebee Tuna

In Runtime
I'm in the middle of fixing my main PC. Major crash. Anyways, I have all my data backed up on a Hard disc and I need to transfer it to my win98 pc for the time being. I have installed the HDD and it shows up in the bios as a slave. I then boot the PC. When I get to the GUI, I look in my computer and only see the main hard drive. The back up is not visible. What am I overlooking?

I'm wondering if the format of the hard drive is not recognizable by win98. If the hard drive from your main PC is formated as NTFS, this may not be recognizable by win 98 which probably uses FAT32 file system for the hard drive. (This is just a guess). If this is correct, then a utility such as UBD4win should be able to copy the files from your NTFS drive onto your win98 drive. It is possible that the windows XP CD also has utilities that can accomplish this.

Any other thoughts?

I think if you were right about that, the HDD should still show up in 'My Computer' should it not? I just wouldn't be able to access the stuff that's on it. It would say that the drive isn't properly formatted. I might be mistaking, but I'm sure I've done this before with other PC's; taking what's on an NTFS formatted HDD and transfered it to a FAT32 HDD. I could be wrong, it's been almost a year since I've had to do something like this. Bummer. Oh, what is the UBD4win utility, and is it downloadable? I've never heard of this thing.

What your going to need is a bootable utility that can read NTSF disks and perform simple operations on files. Go to http://www.ubcd4win.com/ and make an ultimate boot CD. I believe you can do this in win98, but I'm not entirely sure. It is a very interesting utility that boots up and creates a pre-installed environment for you to work in. There may be other utilities that do the same thing.

Alternatively, if you boot from the windows XP CD you can go into a recovery console that lets you do a number of things. You might see if that works for copying files. Other things you might try if you get desperate. . . install a dual boot XP setup on your win98 computer. That would be able to read the new hard drive and you could copy the files into your win98 partition.

Regards,

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom