Running PC off External Harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.
what are these non usb external hard drives, ive seen them, they are like drives that plug directly to your mother board, but are external, would these work just like an internal HDD?

spikoman69 said:
i dont want to have windows on the external harddrive, i want to have windows on my internal, and start using my external as like a second harddrive once i fill up my small 40gb one. So it will have documents, music, pics, vids, programs, games, and anything else you put on a normal harddrive, everything but my OS.

Yes you can put you music, pics, games, and whatever on an externaly hard drive. I'm seeing another case of people not readign the question because they still havent answered your question, hope this helps.

And the other external hard drive you're probably thinking of is SATA, they make an external plug but its not wide spread, you're better off to stick with USB or Firewire (USB being the most common ports on a computer though)

EDIT: and yes the computer will treat them as on internal hard drive, the only difference is decreased bandwith and its external

so, if i buy a good usb external harddrive thats fast, and hook it up via usb 2.0, it will be able to have program and games installed on it? and will a game such as unreal 2004 or half life 2 run any slower during gameplay, i know it will load slower, but will it affect how good it runs during gameplay?

ive got a maxtor 200gb external which has 40 different games all work absolutely fine and programs are fine too a small prob thou can be utilities which you have as they normally try to run on start-up and get annoying pop-ps unless u disable this feature.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom