New PC randomly rebooting!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

venomize

Solid State Member
A friend recently helped me build a new PC, and it's having a super nasty, irritating problem where it randomly reboots itself while I'm in the middle of something important. I'm a bit green when it comes to hardware stuff, so I was hoping someone could help me troubleshoot the problem. I'll post the system specs below, as well as the error I'm getting:

Specs:

Windows XP Professional
Proc: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66 GHz @ 1066 / 4MB L2 cache
Memory: Corsair PC4200 Dual Core 2 GB RAM (2x1GB 533 MHz
Motherboard: Asus P5W DH DLX Core 2
Hard drive: Seagate Ultra ATA/100 7200 RPM 8MB cache
Graphics card: Nvidia Quadro FX 1400 (mfg by PNY Technologies?)
Power supply: Ultra 500 Watt ATX (total output power 500 W, AC input voltage 115V/230V))
extra case fan

I don't know anything about voltage etc.. not sure if there is something incompatible here? I did download and update the latest BIOS.

----------

I'm running Asus PC Probe to monitor temps. I'm not sure what all of them mean, but here's what they read..

These ones are green -

CPU: 44C (manual says it's supposed to be at or below 38C, but the temp seems pretty stable. Is it OK if it's a little over? Should I just set the threshhold temperature higher so it doesn't sound an alarm?)
+3.3: 3.46V
Vcore: 1.29V
+5: 5.20V
+12: 12.30V

These ones are red -

MB: 50C
CPU fan: 1721 RPM

Again, other than the CPU temp, I'm not even sure what levels these should be running at. The motherboard's manual didn't list what the temp should be running at.

----------

I turned off Windows' automatic reboot option, so I would get a "blue screen of death" error message. This is what it says (and it's all Greek to me):

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x805502E0, 0xB59B4AB8, 0x00000000)
Beginning dump of physical memory.
Physical memory dump complete.

----------

I'm really hoping that there is an easy solution and someone can help me fix this. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

sylwek said:
read the sticky

Oops.. totally missed that. Thanks.

"PSU, use this PSU calculator"

Well, I checked that out, but the calculator didn't have my same hardware options to check..

"The best way to determine if RAM is your problem is to run your computer with one stick at a time, and see if the problem occurs for either stick."

I only have one 2GB stick of RAM, in the first slot. Is it safe to test it in the 2nd slot and leave the first slot empty? I don't think the RAM slot on the motherboard is screwy, as I did exchange it for another new one of the same model.

One other thing... I do have everything plugged into one of those surge protector "power center" deals... which is kind of old. Might this be the culprit???

50 c sound pretty hot to me for a ASUS mobo

What is a normal temperature range for an ASUS motherboard? I couldn't find anything about that in the manual. What should I do to lower it? I do have a 2nd fan on my case, and made sure that most of the wires and cables were arranged to get the most airflow possible. Perhaps I just need a bigger case?

Maybe I need to double check and make sure there is enough thermal paste on the proc. Although the CPU temp is pretty stable.

-i dont think it matters if u use the first or second slot, unless ur computer wont POSt or it gives u beeping sound THEN ur gonna have to use the first slot as primary

-if the surge protector would be faulty then ur computer would be having trouble starting or random shutdowns, u can try testing the computer with out it never hurts

-if ur CPU has a stable temperature then the thermal paste is fin.
i would suggest getting a mid size tower or larger if u would like.
the max ASUS motherboard temperature should be around 30-40c

my ASUS only runs at 20-27c

one more thing the CPU fan RPM looks pretty low as well it should be around 2700rpm thats why its telling u 44c and thats not even on full load

So does the CPU fan play any part in keeping the motherboard temp down? Or is the only way to get it cooler, to get a bigger/better case?

Why might the CPU fan not be running at full speed? Does this have to do with a problem with the power supply, or should I just try a different CPU fan?

Thanks again for the info, Sylwek.

venomize said:
So does the CPU fan play any part in keeping the motherboard temp down? Or is the only way to get it cooler, to get a bigger/better case?

well if ur CPU starts overheating then ur mobo gets affected by it a little or sometimes a lot depends on manufactures. the bigger the case the better the air flow. my case has 3 led light case fans put in (one in front, one in back, and one on the glass side panel)

venomize said:
Why might the CPU fan not be running at full speed? Does this have to do with a problem with the power supply, or should I just try a different CPU fan?

is ur fan near something eg PSU,etc? its nothing to do with the PSU because its pretty powerful, but does it have a dual fan system on it (like on the bottom and the rear). U can try a faster CPU fan if u want, it will decrease CPU temps

Well it just happened again, with a similar hexidecimal "STOP" message, but I did notice at the top of the blue screen, it said "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT". Perhaps something is wrong with my memory stick? Or could it still be related to something else?

Open Control Panel - System - Advanced tab - startup & recovery box, settings button, and take the check out of Automatically restart box. Then check the Write a system event, and the Admin alert boxes.
This will force a BSOD on the next crash (thats why it restarts...its crashing) that posts the Stop Error Code.

Post that here word-4-word including punctuation and letter case. We can research that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom