Running PC off External Harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikoman69

Daemon Poster
I have a dell with only one slot for a harddrive, and all i have is a 40gb, and i wanna add on w/o going through the hassle or copying all my info off my current one and puitting it onto a new one, and all the extra BS, so i decided just to buy a 200gb External USB Harddrive, because of its exachangability between PCs (AKA put files on on 1 pc, put them on friends pc).
My only concern is, will this harddrive work like a normal internal harddrive where i can install games/programs on it, run these games on it, etc.?

Windows will not allow you to install on to an external hard drive.

Time to switch to linux

Get a mac
I know you can install the OSX and run it off an external drive

i've never tried it but i've seen things about windows xp flash drive edition on a torrent site...

surely this would work on a external hdd aswell ?

but yeah i havent tried it..

and of course you should have a legit copy of xp before dlin these...

i dont want to have windows on the external harddrive, i want to have windows on my internal, and start using my external as like a second harddrive once i fill up my small 40gb one. So it will have documents, music, pics, vids, programs, games, and anything else you put on a normal harddrive, everything but my OS.

Dude It wouldn't be wise to use your external as your main hard drive with all you important files and OS even if it was possible just get a big , better and faster hard drive for your PC or just swap out the 200gb hard in the external and put it in your PC and the 40gb in the external.

Can you save and run games from an external hard drive? If so then that may solve my problems with installing a SATA internal HDD :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom