Intel or AMD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
nagasama said:
General, that big chingaso overclock is awesome. i think you lucked out with your cpu. but i don't neccesarily believe all the 6600's can do that, the same as i am sure there are 3800+'s that can bag a 900mhz oc.

Average overclock of an E6600 on [H]Forums is 3.4Ghz.

The General said:
The "conroe crusher" will be socket AM3.

Socket AM2+. Compatible with socket AM2. Just no 4000Mhz Hypertransport Bus.

BiGyLiLuPdAmIdL said:
-For the future, it doesn't look good for AMD becuase they aren't going to release there new stuff until AM3.

See above.

Shannon said:
I read that the Intel "quad core" chip is not really quad core, but two dual cores on one piece of silicon whereas the AMD quad core chip is really quad core.

A famous, yet rather pointless argument. Its used everyday by AMD fanboys (and CEOs :rolleyes: ) to try to down the Kentsfield. In the end, it comes down to what you personally think. To me, Quad Core means 4 cores on one die. Voila, la Kentsfield.

Ironically, AMD is advertising it's 4x4 as a Quad Core system as well. So to AMD, Quad Core means 4 cores in one case? 4x4 is two dual core processors on two different sockets.

I liked this quote referring to Intel being accused of gluing together the two cores;

Poncho[/i] Its quite accurate. A couple years ago they went through training at all the Intel fabs where they taught the people how to glue CPUs together properly. It took some time... and A LOT of super glue... but I think the result was well worth it. I've actually seen reports on the money saved if Intel would get into the glue making business. That's the real outcome of the efficiency action taking place within intel right now and the costs that would be saved are insane.[/QUOTE] ------------ [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The General said:
I'm still a bit unclear as to how the QX6700 isn't a quad-core, if it has four cores and uses one socket. I guess you could argue that a dual-core isn't really a dual-core and it's just two single cores in one socket, how they are attached doesn't matter to what it's called, just the performance between cores, which in the end still makes no bit of noticable difference. The QX6700 is a quad-core, call it what you want, but it is still a quad-core.

The reason provided is because Kentsfield is basically two Conroe dice set side-by-side each other, but in the same package. You can actually see the separate pairs of cores if you look at it. A "native" Quad Core would be a single piece of silicon with all 4 cores on it.

Can you tell the difference? No.

nagasama said:
you will be able to use an am3 processor on an am2 mobo.

AM2+ processor on an AM2 board. Little is known about AM3 yet, and I doubt you'll be able to use it on AM2 boards.

DarkGamer said:
Intel has only won the battle for now but soon they will release somthing that will put the core 2 duo to shame intel rushed the release of this proccessor i dont trust it. yea it might be fast but for a die hard gamer intel isnt for you. argue if you want tell me im wrong but as many of you remeber AMD cornerd the market and held it for a long time there is a reason for this.

How did Intel rush their processor? It was right on time, and as planned. Intel had an overflow of processors after like 2 weeks, can't have been that late.

What IS for a die hard gamer if not "Intel"? And why did you say "Intel"? Is there something about the name that's going to put off a gamer? If you meant the Core 2 Duo, why does a gamer not want it?

The reason for AMD cornering the market was (besides an excellent processor) because Intel thought the Pentium 4 would get them somewhere. It didn't. If you think AMD's going to be on top even in the next year, think again. When AMD releases their 65nm K8L AM2+ processors, Intel's going to pound them into submission with their 45nm processors (also featureing a "native" Quad Core :rolleyes: ) no less than a month later.

/exit

Wow..

So, after all this arguing, who recommends a MOTHERBOARD for the Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Processor?

Conroe may be great and all, but it cost to much freakin money cause the boards you have to have to get the full potential of ythe CPU are over $150 and the RAM is even more, I personally dont think its worth it

COD2_fanatic said:
Conroe may be great and all, but it cost to much freakin money cause the boards you have to have to get the full potential of ythe CPU are over $150 and the RAM is even more, I personally dont think its worth it

Do you have any idea how high the price/performance value of the processors is at their prices? They're a practical steal at these prices, just clearing that up.

As for the motherboards, it seems you've only heard of the expensive ones. There are enough $100 Core 2 Duo overclocking motherboards out there.

RAM? AMD uses the same RAM dude. And its the same price as anything else. 2 x 1GB DDR2-800 memory, enough for any overclock, is $210. Cheapest 2x1GB DDR2-667 is $200, so its not really that much.

Ephexx793 said:
A MOTHERBOARD for the Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Processor?

Get this over the DS3, that one's been having some problems. Its a good motherboard, but this Asus P5B-E is a better overclocker as well. And its only like $10 more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131070

And don't waste money on the 680i, it has hardware placement compatibilty problems that have led some 8800GTX owners to RMA it. Also has problems with aftermarket HSF installation, the back has a metal plate over the HSF area that you just don't want to deal with.

Wow, I just check my wishlist, and all the sudden they have re-added my Athlon processor back to the site.. son of a *****...

Thanks for all the help guys, and I guess i'm sticking with Intel now..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom