Intel or AMD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
e6400: 219.00
x2 4200+: 182.00
performance wise: probably so similar you can't even tell them apart.

they're both great.
my system smokes whatever task i put it to.

if your mind is set on amd, get the 4200+ (or 3800) am2. and when (and if) the conroe crusher comes out, you will have the right socket for it.

general, that big chingaso overclock is awesome. i think you lucked out with your cpu. but i don't neccesarily believe all the 6600's can do that, the same as i am sure there are 3800+'s that can bag a 900mhz oc.

it's all in the dice.

nagasama said:
e6400: 219.00
x2 4200+: 182.00
performance wise: probably so similar you can't even tell them apart.

they're both great.
my system smokes whatever task i put it to.

if your mind is set on amd, get the 4200+ (or 3800) am2. and when (and if) the conroe crusher comes out, you will have the right socket for it.

general, that big chingaso overclock is awesome. i think you lucked out with your cpu. but i don't neccesarily believe all the 6600's can do that, the same as i am sure there are 3800+'s that can bag a 900mhz oc.

it's all in the dice.

E6400 > X2 4200+ read benchmarks and find that out. The "conroe crusher" will be socket AM3.

95% of conroes will overclock the same as mine, but you need good ram too. ;)

Well its been said. But Ill say it Again.
Currently == Intel
Before C2D's Release == AMD

The only reason I didn't go C2D is because I didn't want to get a new motherboard, new RAM and Reinstall.
So I just got a 4600+ and OCed to 2.70 Ghz

True! i think this is the bottom line,

-Before, AMD owned Intel before the release of Core 2 Duo's. They were the number 1 gaming processors and everyone knew it, people would say that AMD was better than intel in gaming, and Intel is better than AMD for application stuff and folding.

-Now, Let's just man up and face it lol, I'm a big AMD fan too, but the intel Core 2 Duo's are really good, and they are the best processors out right now, and for the price to value category they truely beat AMD. Overall the Core 2 Duo, and any one of them, the e6300 or the x6800 extreme, will beat any other processor. Even a core 2 duo e6300 can beat an athlon 64 fx -62. Also the fact that they are o/cing beats just adds to it.

-For the future, it doesn't look good for AMD becuase they aren't going to release there new stuff until AM3, and by that time who knows what intel will have cooking up.

So basically, AMD was the powerhouse, but Intel is coming up and they don't wanna get off the number 1 spot.

Intel's top chip is great right now, but I still don't think there's any benefit to going intel over AMD if you're not getting the Core 2 Duo. The Athlon X2s are still outperforming the P4 and the Pentium D for less money for the most part.

I do think that AMD will be back on top performance-wise when the quad-core stuff comes though. I read that the Intel "quad core" chip is not really quad core, but two dual cores on one piece of silicon whereas the AMD quad core chip is really quad core. Only the benchmarks will tell, though.

But if you already have a 939 board, just get a 939 processor, you *should* still be able to find a good deal on one. I have been noticing some CPUs vanishing from NewEgg recently, though. I think they're selling out or something. try http://www.tigerdirect.com and http://www.zipzoomfly.com too.

since your building a new pc NOW, go with core 2 dou. If you decided to wait until amd quad core comes out....then i would prob go with that. But since you want to build NOW, get the core 2 dou. Its the best processor out right now...besides the QX6700 but im sure you don't want to spend $1500 on a cpu.

Shannon said:
I read that the Intel "quad core" chip is not really quad core, but two dual cores on one piece of silicon whereas the AMD quad core chip is really quad core. Only the benchmarks will tell, though.

I'm still a bit unclear as to how the QX6700 isn't a quad-core, if it has four cores and uses one socket. I guess you could argue that a dual-core isn't really a dual-core and it's just two single cores in one socket, how they are attached doesn't matter to what it's called, just the performance between cores, which in the end still makes no bit of noticable difference. The QX6700 is a quad-core, call it what you want, but it is still a quad-core.

The General said:
E6400 > X2 4200+ read benchmarks and find that out. The "conroe crusher" will be socket AM3.

yo general check this out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM2

you will be able to use an am3 processor on an am2 mobo, but not vice versa....so technically speaking he would have the right mobo. just make sure it's a good one. there's no way i would buy a new am3 without upgrading mine....not that it's horrid, but definitely a beginner board and i picked up on this a lot quicker than i thought i would...:p

Wow, General you are one **** of a fighter.

Thanks a lot for all this guys, and partially dissapointed to say, you sold me to Intel.. And yes, I believe my CPU was out-of-stock for about a week on Newegg, and I guess that is why they removed it.

So, It's time to find a new Board and a new Processor.
The most I am willing to spend on this computer is $1500.
Here are the parts I have so far, and when I get my intel processor I want to be able to OC it a bit, so please tell me how many fans, etc. I will need..

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...31188&WishListTitle=TJ's+Built+Computer+Parts

I am currently looking for a motherboard, and an Intel Processor Core 2 Duo.
If anyone wants to hook me up with a good "bang for your buck" motherboard, I'd be very happy.

Thanks guys, a very big help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom