Need suggestions on this Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
First off, please don't tell me to go to newegg cuz I'm in Canada and they don't ship here.

Here's a setup I put together. I had to manage to have it fully equiped with monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, operating system and a good psu (not the one's that come with case). I also did not want to cheap out. I wanted the advantages of Core 2 Duo and a high-end DX10 video card. This XP package comes with a Vista upgrade form too. I managed to do this for a little over $2100 canadian, which is equivalent to about $1800 US. Tell me what you think I should improve upon please. The link is below. The setup has everything. And I like the case. :)

http://pc.ncix.com/pcgallerynew/index.php?id=1000376

I would go for Windows XP Media Center Edition OEM, unless of course you specifically need Windows XP Professional. Also, since the Vista coupon requires you to have a receipt of the "computer" from the place where you bought the "computer," I doubt Microsoft wants to give you a free version of Vista.

I would also go for the P5B-E motherboard, and a 16MB cache hard drive.

KBlair said:
I would go for Windows XP Media Center Edition OEM, unless of course you specifically need Windows XP Professional. Also, since the Vista coupon requires you to have a receipt of the "computer" from the place where you bought the "computer," I doubt Microsoft wants to give you a free version of Vista.

I would also go for the P5B-E motherboard, and a 16MB cache hard drive.

Thanks a lot mate. I checked up on that. NCIX'll give you the form as long as you buy it as a system from them, and through the process I'm using, I will get the form, and from my understanding, in asking in the forums there, they said that as long as you get the form, you get the Vista upgrade because they have their own unique PINs or something, it's not just any form. And NCIX, of course, will supply you with a recept for you purchase.

As for Media Center Edition, any specific reason why you'd suggest it? I really don't like the Media Center interface. I just want plain old Windows. Is there something as far as hardware/software support that Media Center Ed. would have over Proffesional? Is Professional too clunky? From what I understood, it has excellent dual-core support.

And what are the differences between p5b-e and p5b? And are they really worth the extra $40?

And as far as the hdd goes, I'm replacing it with "Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 3GB/S 7200RPM 16MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive".

teh_omar said:
As for Media Center Edition, any specific reason why you'd suggest it? I really don't like the Media Center interface. I just want plain old Windows. Is there something as far as hardware/software support that Media Center Ed. would have over Proffesional? Is Professional too clunky? From what I understood, it has excellent dual-core support.
Media Center Edition is not only cheaper, but it is Windows XP Professional with a few Media Center add-ons. And as far as I can tell, each (correctly patched) version if Windows handles dual-core processors the same way. Dual processors, however...

teh_omar also posted
And what are the differences between p5b-e and p5b? And are they really worth the extra $40?
The P5B-E is the P5B accentually a revision of the P5B.

Also, good choice for the hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom