who pays in an unsolved fraud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heffer

In Runtime
lets say someone steals my credit card info and goes online to buy a computer from BestBuy.com or buys a used computer from eBay.com. of course i wud find out and most likely get my money back... or i guess.. get it written off my credit account. my question is who's gonna compensate for that stolen computer?

the shopping website? (ebay/bestbuy)
the credit card company? (visa/mastercard)
the victim? (me/credit card holder)

many businesses allow over the phone transactions as well which can also lead to fraudulent situations. obvioulsy if the scammer was caught the answer is apparent but what if he got away.

I think it would be the credit card company. But if they bought it online, it's be too easy to track the person down just through the shipping address.

Ridlyn said:
I think it would be the credit card company. But if they bought it online, it's be too easy to track the person down just through the shipping address.

True, but why don't we see that kind of stuff in the news? To answer the Q: most credit cards have some kind of deal for fraud, depends on the card though.

I think it would be you though, who has to pay the the credit card company back. Right? I never had my credit card information stolen before so I wouldn't know for sure. :D

heffer said:
lets say someone steals my credit card info and goes online to buy a computer from BestBuy.com or buys a used computer from eBay.com. of course i wud find out and most likely get my money back... or i guess.. get it written off my credit account. my question is who's gonna compensate for that stolen computer?

the shopping website? (ebay/bestbuy)
the credit card company? (visa/mastercard)
the victim? (me/credit card holder)

many businesses allow over the phone transactions as well which can also lead to fraudulent situations. obvioulsy if the scammer was caught the answer is apparent but what if he got away.

The shopping website. It's up to the shop to chase up with the authorities in order to their money/goods back form the crook. And this can take a long time.
Not sure what the deal is if they are with VeriSign.

You as the credit card owner will get your money back. All you need to do is prove that it was not your credit card purchase. This is simple as the shop needs to provide a IP Address or Signature, and you to be able to prove that it was not your purchase.

i'm pretty sure that the credit card company pays for it. its just part of the "loss". the company just has to take that into account.

j369852147412 said:
i'm pretty sure that the credit card company pays for it. its just part of the "loss". the company just has to take that into account.
No they don't.

heffer said:
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

3 different people with 3 different answers
There is a few thing that i really don't want to post about here on the forums . However if you come onto TECH ON VENT, I will give the entire low down on this.

the credit card holder tends to get the short end of the stick on this one. as a credit card holder it is your responsibility to retain posession of your card. if it gets stolen, however unfortunate it is you weren't careful enough. if it's stolen directly from you as in when you are mugged, run home and cancel the card.

it is truly unfortunate if your card is stolen but basically the responsibility is upon you to realise and cancel the card. i completely sympathise if your card is stolen but you must cancel it, everybody knows that credit cards get stolen and used so if you think there is a possibility you can't keep track of one then don't try. cash gets stolen too, true you can't cancel it but it has no chance of costing you more money than you have ;) cash doesn't get overdrawn.

I think the problem is bigger when your credit card information is stolen not the card it self. Therefore it's really hard to tell if someone knows your information than having it stolen.

That's why if someone did find your information and use it over the Internet and the next time the bill comes you realize it to late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom