Need help! System won't boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snatch

Beta member
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a new motherboard, video card, RAM et CPU. I assembled the system myself using the case, HDD and PS from my last system.

When I got to the exciting part of booting that system for the first time, I got nothing. The PS shut itself down as soon as I hit the power button. I did a reset on the PS and tried again, same thing. The next attempt went differently: everything powered on, fans spinning and everything, but I got nothing on the screen.

Now I need to know what's wrong so here I am asking for your kind help.

Here is my system specs:

Antec TruePower 2.0 power supply, 480W
Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU
ATI Radeon X1900 XTX
2gb of OCZ DDR-2 800 (2x1gb dual channel)
2 Maxtor SATA (one 250gb, one 120gb)

I only tried to remove the RAM and I got the usual "beeeeeeep beep beep" from the motherboard. I also tried to unplug all HDD and DVD drives, but got nothing.

What I could think of but could not verify:
- I'm pretty sure the bios is the correct version that supports Core 2 Duo. It says in the MB booklet that it supports them.
- 480W might not be enough for the system.
- The RAM might not be compatible with the MB.

Another bit of info: when I start the system, the HDD LED flashes twice and that's all. It flashes even if there's no HDD plugged in.

Thanks for everything in advance,
Nathaniel

do a barebone boot(only ram, cpu, and a vid adapter if mobo dont have onboard) and see if it boots. if it does, add one peice of hardware untill it dont boot, then you got your problem. also, if you have another cpu thats compatable with the mobo, boot with that, and update your bios.

hope this helps, and welcome to tech-forums!

EDIT: o, almost forgot, is your bios jumper set to clear, or normal, cause on new mobos, the bios jumpers are set to clear, and you need to set it to default for it to boot normally

I did try the barebone boot, still didn't work. Of course this was with the video card cuz it's the only one I have. My old one is AGP and there's no AGP slot on this MB.

Thanks for the suggestion

Can you easily return a used CPU? :umm:

I guess I will call a computer repair shop and spend an hour or so with the guy testing different CPU, PS and video card.

What do you mean by "get a better video card"? The X1900 XTX is top of the line, just out of the factory. Paid 387$ CDN for it too! ;)

o, i thought that you just got like a 25$ pci card to get the system to boot, i didnt know you had that good of a card.

well, chances are, the bios dont support the cpu, u just need to get it running enough to get it to boot into the bios so you can update it.

yea, well thats a my bad on my part, didnt read the whole thing(well i did, but forgot the vid card, just got back from surgery)

Ok so I got to do a few more test with a friend's computer.

I tried his RAM, still got nothing.
I tried his video card, still got nothing.
He tried my video card, and it was working.

I tried without video card and it did the same thing (which is nothing), the motherboard didn't complain about the lack of video card, which it should, right?

So because of that, I'm tempted to conclude by saying that the motherboard is the problem and I should get it replaced.

Anyone has any thoughts?

You may have fried the motherboard through ESD, but don't despair. I thought I fried mine and I was having the same problems.

First I forgot to connect a 4pin plug, hence the start and run for 1 second, then stop. I connected that, everything would run, but no boot. This is why:

So both sticks of ram work on your friends Mobo, that might be great, but if you're motherboard's BIOS don't support 800 ram then it won't boot.

I updated my bios using a 400 stick of ram to load it from a floppy, then inserted my 800's and it didn't boot. Oh no, right? Well one stick of my ram was DOA, the other works.

If both your sticks are in working order, then your motherboard is probably not supporting 800 memory.

That's just my experience though.

Thanks for the help, but the P5W DH Deluxe does support 800 RAM. I have heard of *some* people using 800 RAM that was detected as being 533 so all they had to do was to manually set the different parameters of the RAM.

Could anyone confirm that if you try to boot without a video card, you would get some beeeps from the motherboard?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom