graphics and psu question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimBlanchard

Daemon Poster
1. does the sapphire x1950 pro need a special connection to psu

2. if it does will the graphics card come with it

3. will any 500w+ psu be able to have this connection or does it need a certain number of pins or a certain socket

(im not talking about being able to have enough power im talking about connection from psu to grahpics card)

Thanks for you help ;)

Tim

When you buy a card new... Yes it will have all the adaptors needed if your PSU doesn't have them... The standard PSU will have the 4 pin molex to fit the PCIe convertor onto them... BUT I highly recommend you look for a PSU (or have one already) that has at least 18A on the +12v side (the higher the better)

as above it will come with the adaptor but you need to make sure you have an empty socket free on your psu to plug the vid card connecter into.

I got a new OCZ modstream PSU last week which came with everything so i just connected the GPU directly to the slot on the psu :D

are you from the UK then?
And no the above isnt a very good price, i got this one last week http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/102953 slightly more power, much better looking and cheaper, still a top name brand in the computer world too, plus it has loads of connections for GPU and other devices and all the cables you'd ever need.

Also i can vouch for the ordering process and top service from ebuyer :D

1 too expensive

2. im looking @ dabs.com because they have the cheapest card & free delivery (-£7)

jonny_uk said:
Thats what i thought, 18AMP what? thats huge, we dont even use 18AMP in the uk, the biggest we have is 13A:confused:

Most video cards will recommend a voltage depending on the card. take a look at the card manufacturer and see what they recommend. Most people here will even advise 18-20 Amps... the higher end cards even recommend 24-35 Amps. (35 if you run SLI) That can also be a combo if your PSU has dual +12V's. So if you have 2 rails with 13 Amps then you'll be good...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom