How to set up a RAID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snump

In Runtime
On my GigaByte 8ik1100 there's a two SATA controllers. Intel something orother - I forget.
Can I an identical HD and set up a mirrored set? I'm not looking for performance increases, just redundency.
If so, how do I tell it to morror and not to just se it as another drive?
Using XP Pro.

if you want it to bee the bootable drive then you usually have to set it up in the bios as a stripe. On most boards ive seen there is a separate setup for the raid controller. Such as on mine you press del for the standard cmos but press f10 to configure raid options. You will have to reinstall windows and insert a floppy disk into the floppy drive when it says press f6 to load raid or scsi driver. There is usually a raid driver program on the motherboards cd rom disk. If it is not going to be a bootable drive, just use disk management and convert both disks to dynamic and set it up as a stripe that way.
oh you said mirrored lol. Replace striped with mirrored on everything i typed. Hope that helped.

that the trade off to increase speed. the speed increase isn't all that great to be worth it either

EricB said:
that the trade off to increase speed. the speed increase isn't all that great to be worth it either

You dont do a RAID1 for speed only for redundcy. It is a straight mirror setup. Exact clone spare of the primary drive.

The RAID0 is the one for speed and is not reilable at all.

EricB said:
be aware. your hdd reliability is lessen by 1/2 using this setup

Reliability is actually increased, it's the performance where you take the hit. But this guy is looking for reliability.

Win2kpatcher said:
You dont do a RAID1 for speed only for redundcy. It is a straight mirror setup. Exact clone spare of the primary drive.

The RAID0 is the one for speed and is not reilable at all.

my bad. you are right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom