Buying new comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomfitz123

Beta member
What do you guys think of this setup? ( My budget is around $2000 AUD)

All up it costs $2025 AUD ( Around $1,549 USD)

specszz0.png

Hmm, I don't know the price differences but that seems good for the amount of stuff you're getting. The weak points I would have to say would be the hard drive's 8MB cache, No real need for a floppy or network card, I've never heard of the power supply brand, I hope it's not one that comes with the case. Other than that, I don't know, seems good, where are you buying all this from?

looks good for a prebuilt except the gpu will be lacking alot. I wasn't fimiliar with that gpu in the first place but i found a
benchmark and its being compared to a 6200 and on last generation games...and its not doing so well, and with the 19" monitor....i doubt you will be able to play current games very well.

andrewsvalesen said:
where on earth are you getting 2 gigs for ddr2 ram for 142 dollars?

LINK ME!

it means if you upgrade to 2gb then it will be $140 more....not subtract the current cost of the ram and add $140. So the 2gb would actual cost $280

Actually, that's not a great deal.

You're getting a VIA chipset motherboard, an ATA hard drive, a crappy video card, no-name RAM, a no-name PSU, a no-name monitor. They listed a "network Card", but it is only the ethernet port on the motherboard.

It's better than nothing, but I wouldn't buy it knowing what I do about components.

I'm looking at an ad right now for a HP with a 4200 X2, 1 gig of RAM, 250 gig SATA, dual-layer burner, and XP Media Center for $860, and that's not even on sale. Sorry, but it's not an online ad, so I can't link it.

If you're going to buy a prebuilt, find a place that uses off the shelf parts. Nukem referred to Monarch earlier... They are good and use standard parts.

Choose a motherboard with an nVidia chipset (for AMD), either a 4, an Ultra, or an SLI (even if you don't use SLI). I don't really know a lot about the new 6100's other than they usually have onboard video.

SATA hard drives are the norm now. They are faster than ATA, and the cables don't restrict airflow (very important for keeping it cool).

As for a video card, that depends on what you want to do. If you are only a casual gamer, you could go for a 6800 series card (nVidia). If you are a gamer on a budget (or just want better performance), look at the 7600s. If you are a serious gamer, look at the 7900 series. I doubt you are interested in the 8800s (brand new, mega money).

Crucial, Kingstom, OCZ, G.Skill, Patriot are all good RAM. If it doesn't give you the name of the manufacturer, don't touch it.

Antec, Thermaltake, Fortron (FSP), are all good PSUs. There are many more. The basic rule is that (excluding Antec and Thermaltake) the PSU that comes with a case is junk.

There are many good monitor manufacturers out there. Samsung, NEC, ViewSonic, BenQ, even Dell (their monitors are nice). Do a little research (try checking out NewEgg's lineup and read some reviews). You wouldn't buy a car blindly, so why buy a monitor like that (or even a computer)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom