Help Build New Comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasthero

Beta member
Hey all,

First time on these forums, and it seems like you're all very knowledgeable. Im a relative noob when it comes to this stuff, but I was recently thinking of building my own comp for the first time. Was basically wondering if you guys could give me some pointers and perhaps think of a rig for me.

This comp will be mainly used for gaming and basically only thing that I do know for sure and have my eyes set on a vid card and its the 8800 GTS. My budget for this comp is around $2000 Canadian and I do need a monitor. Basically first time building so including even the smallest things that i need that normally your ethusiast wouldnt even bother mentioning would be good.

Probably would end up getting all the parts either from ncix.com or canadacomputers.com. On a side note I probably will end up getting this comp around mid December to late December so maybe prices for some parts will hopefully go down in price a bit :p.

Thanks for all the help!

well for right now a good build would include:

CPU:core 2 duo e6600
Graphics: 8800gts
motherboard: Asus DS3 I think (LGA775
RAM: 2gb ddr2, not sure what breand or model you want.
PSU: antec or ocz 600watt
harddrive: 320gig sata2
case: full tower= thermaltek Armor Mid Tower= too many LOL
ROM drive: cd reader/ burner and dvd burner (2 drives
Monitor: 20in. widescreen with a ~5ms response and at least 800:1 contrast ratio

hrm okay heres what I got then

CPU: E6600 $369.99
GPU: 8800 GTS $629.99
Motherboard: I couldnt find the Asus DS3?? But I did notice there is a Gigabyte DS3 and after looking it over I think this was the one you were talking about. $164.99
Ram: Kingston DDR2-667 2 gigs $279.99
PSU: SilverStone SST-ST65ZF 650W nVidia Certified SLI PSU
$149.99
DVD: LG GSA-H10N 16X 10x DL+R 6X DL-R 12X DVD-Ram Super-Multi Internal DVD Writer $34.99
Case: Still no idea what case to get here
O/S: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition OEM W/ Vista Basic Upgrade Coupon In Stock $112.50
Monitor: No idea yet
Seagate (ST3250620A) Barracuda 7200.10 250GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM 16MB Cache (OEM) $97.00
Total so far w/o tax: $1839.44
With tax the total is > $2000, god i hate canadian tax :/ 14% is such a rip.

if you want to save a little money then you can get an Antec True power Trio 650Watt for about $120 on outpost

for a case i would look at the Thermaltkae Armor Jr. they have it at ZipZoomFly for around $110 with free shipping

Hey thanks for the suggestions I might just change the PSU to antecs. Another option I was fooling around with and thinking about to save some money was perhaps getting the E6300 instead of the E6600, this would save me around 130 bucks. Or perhaps looking to buy the AMD counterpart. What is the AMD counterparts to the E6300 and E6600 and in both cases which performs better on gaming terms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom