My CPU blew up

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbillybob

In Runtime
A couple days ago, my computer wouldn't startup, and I was able to trace it to my CPU failing. Let me give you some specs on my system

AMD Athlon 64 2800+
MSI Via K8T Neo motherboard Socket 754
1.25 GB PC 2700
Onboard Gigabit lan
Onboard Dolby Digital 5.1 sound
USB 2.0
Nvidia MX400 video card (I believe, my ATI blew up, and this was just to limp by)
80 Gb Seagate UltraATA 133
LG 52x CD-RW
Nu 16x DVD-ROM
Win XP Pro SP2

Now, looking on newegg, I can get a Socket 754 Athlon 64 3000+ for around $70. Not bad. This machine was my first time to build my own, and I have been very proud of it, I purchased the parts and assembled something like 4 years ago. Very nice machine for a first time. My deal is that ya, the Socket 754 CPU's are cheap, but it's about time for a new rig. I want to keep my case, HDD, Optical drives, and was really thinking about a new CPU, Mobo, RAM, and PSU.

My plans for the new rig are such - Stay with Windows XP for the time being, programming, gaming, and the such. When Windows XP becomes outdated, I wanted to move to Linux, as Vista scares me. I wanted to continue the same on Linux (programming, gaming, internet, high performance.) I think I will go with Ubuntu when I switch to Linux. I would like to stay with AMD 64 bit CPU's, I've just really fallen in love with them. I want to go with an Nvidia card, I like the performance of what I have seen on friends machines. What would be your suggestions (SLI or not....Nvidia, VIA, or ATI northbridge....etc, etc) Please list Manufacture, Socket(s), and other pertinant information so that I can pick which one I like after researching it.

Thanks IA!!

hillbillybob said:
A couple days ago, my computer wouldn't startup, and I was able to trace it to my CPU failing. Let me give you some specs on my system

AMD Athlon 64 2800+
MSI Via K8T Neo motherboard Socket 754
1.25 GB PC 2700
Onboard Gigabit lan
Onboard Dolby Digital 5.1 sound
USB 2.0
Nvidia MX400 video card (I believe, my ATI blew up, and this was just to limp by)
80 Gb Seagate UltraATA 133
LG 52x CD-RW
Nu 16x DVD-ROM
Win XP Pro SP2

Now, looking on newegg, I can get a Socket 754 Athlon 64 3000+ for around $70. Not bad. This machine was my first time to build my own, and I have been very proud of it, I purchased the parts and assembled something like 4 years ago. Very nice machine for a first time. My deal is that ya, the Socket 754 CPU's are cheap, but it's about time for a new rig. I want to keep my case, HDD, Optical drives, and was really thinking about a new CPU, Mobo, RAM, and PSU.

My plans for the new rig are such - Stay with Windows XP for the time being, programming, gaming, and the such. When Windows XP becomes outdated, I wanted to move to Linux, as Vista scares me. I wanted to continue the same on Linux (programming, gaming, internet, high performance.) I think I will go with Ubuntu when I switch to Linux. I would like to stay with AMD 64 bit CPU's, I've just really fallen in love with them. I want to go with an Nvidia card, I like the performance of what I have seen on friends machines. What would be your suggestions (SLI or not....Nvidia, VIA, or ATI northbridge....etc, etc) Please list Manufacture, Socket(s), and other pertinant information so that I can pick which one I like after researching it.

Thanks IA!!

were you overclocking your cpu?
if not, how did you assume/pinpoint the cpu being the culprit?

Oh, sorry.

No, I was not overclocking. I pinpointed it because my Motherboard came with a D-bracket, which has for led's for diagnostic purposes (It doesn't use BIOS beep codes) Upon startup, the system hangs at Four red leds, which the documentation says is a malfunctioning or improperly placed CPU. I removed the CPU and reseated it just to make sure, and received the same error.

The system worked that morning, but when I came home from work, and went to turn it on, it hung.

If you're staying with the Athlon 64's, go with a DFI LANPARTY motherboard. They are the creme-de-la-creme. Look at the Ultra-D (non-SLI) or the SLI-DR (SLI)... but SLI ain't all that, after all.

As for CPU, NewEgg has the 4000+ (single core) OEM for $119. For dual core, look at the Opty 165 (overclocks great) for $159. Of course, the prices go up the faster you go. :D

For RAM, look at G.Skill, OCZ, Crucial, and Patriot. I'd recommend 2 gig in dual channel.

For PSUs, look at Antec, and Fortron (FSP Group). Seasonic and PC Power are good, but very expensive.

With NVIDIA graphics cards, you have the whole gallery to choose from with the only limit being your wallet. The 7900's are nice (GT, GS) and the prices have really come down on them. The 8800's are insane in both performance AND price.

All I can say is GO FOR IT!!! We're here to help you along.

I'd go with an X2 3800+, 2GB of OCZ RAM and a 7900GT. That oughta do it. Actually, I have a 939 system just like that, but with a 6200TC on a DFI Lanparty SLI-DR. I plan on getting an 8800GTS so I could stick my 7900GT in it. I dunno if you want it, some guy said he'd give me $500 for it, which is a bit much for what it has so I think I'll sell it to him. :p

If you plan on using Linux YOU HAVE TO GET AN NVIDIA CARD. Otherwise you're on your own with getting help. Ubuntu is pretty good, I use it now. :)

General, that's kind of the advice I was looking for - what hardware is good now, and for in the future for what I want to do. So Nvidia is a must for Linux....what about Mobo/Ram - does any of that matter for Linux?

Trotter, thanks, that helps narrow my search

What is SLI really. I always thought it was basically two Video cards in one slot. Is it really worth it? Is there any extra you have to do in terms of cooling?

Since AMD has acquired ATI, and AMD is really good about opening up to the open source community, are they going to open the ATI chips up? Will it matter now what video card you get in terms of support with the Open Source community?

I don't really feel a need for any sort of RAID

I'd get an nForce 4 chipset, anything newer than that will probably have problems with Linux as they seem to build hardware for Windows these days... :mad: ... I wouldn't get an ATI chipset, but that's because I hate ATI, not because I've had a bad experience with them ... or any experience at all.

If your motherboard has an nForce 4 chipset, and an nvidia video card, everything will work fine in Linux. :)

SLI is using two GPUs to render frames in a game. It's not really worth it, unless you have gobs of money. It works in Linux (even Quad-SLI works in Linux) which is great. Nvidia is great with their Linux drivers.

You can have SLI in one slot with the 7950GX2, but usually it's two slots, one for each video card. :)

Sweet, thanks General - looks like an nvidia Graphics card and chipset are my goals. I kinda was leaning that way anyway, but I wanted to make sure I was leaning the right way...not the left way (sorry, bad joke)

Trotter, (or anyone for that matter) I can see the advantage of dual core, but what does Opteron have over FX, X2, and Sempron. Correct me if Im wrong...Opteron is the top of the line...the ultimate, it's the server/workstation class chip, able to handle programming, media editing, gaming, etc. Leap tall buildings in a single bound....ok, anyway. The FX is absolutly awesome when it comes to multimedia and gaming, but not quite up to par with the Opteron. The X2 is really just the Athlon 64, dual core. Sempron provides 64 bit computing on a budget, not having the performance capabilities of the other three. Am I right?

Also, if I go with an Opteron...do I need a special motherboard, or should I just get one with the correct socket (I was leaning towards a Socket 939, or would a different one be better?)

The socket 939 Opty's work in standard 939 boards.

The FX are sweet, but you pay through the nose for them in comparison to the other CPUs.

The Optys were designed for servers, but the 939s are for normal mobos. They have full caches, and overclock as good as, or better than, the FX line.

Yes, the X2s are just dual core Athlon 64s, and the Semprons are the AMD equivalent of the Celerons.

The General said:
I'd get an nForce 4 chipset, anything newer than that will probably have problems with Linux as they seem to build hardware for Windows these days... :mad: ... I wouldn't get an ATI chipset, but that's because I hate ATI, not because I've had a bad experience with them ... or any experience at all.

If your motherboard has an nForce 4 chipset, and an nvidia video card, everything will work fine in Linux. :)

Ati chipsets are very good and reliable I also iam not a fan of ati.Also dont get me wrong DFI mobos are good but very buggy and run stable most of the time and picky as far as what companys it will run with.ASUS is the most reliable mobo ive had as far as compatibility with other companys and overall reliability.Dfi boards arent the best quality like for wxample there chipsets fans are knowen to go out.Also Ati chips are compatibly with all nividia cards and lol i have a 3dfuzion 7600gs that will only run on an ati chip and not nforce4 so go figure.But I do have 2 DFI and only 2 ASUS pc's so i have a decent knowledge about them both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom