Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
mikee said:
Vista s probably going to be like the titanic, they say it is uncrashable but someone will find a way to make a super virus and no one will believe it until they lose everything on their computer.
Yep, I was thinking the same thing. Whenever I get Vista, I will still run an anti virus just because of that. Someone will eventually start finding their way around the UAC.

Zune and Vista 'not compatible'
Zune, the new digital music player from Microsoft, is not compatible with the software giant's new Vista operating system. Buried in the Zune website, Microsoft admits that the player is not compatible with Vista and gives no information as to when it will introduce a patch or update enabling the player to do so.

Instead, users are asked to "check back soon for updates".

Microsoft is set to launch Vista for business customers later this month, although a spokesman for Microsoft told ENN, however, that a new "Zune client" or patch to make Vista compatible with the MP3 player will be released at the end of January to coincide with the consumer launch of the Vista operating system.

This is embarrassing for Microsoft given it launched the new player in the US amid much fanfare on Wednesday in an attempt to take on the might of Apple's iPod. At the same time, Microsoft is touting its much-delayed new Vista version of Windows as "the most important new Microsoft release since Windows 95", according to company founder Bill Gates.

Zune is currently only available in the US and went on sale for USD249.99 at almost 30,000 shops across the United States on Wednesday. The digital music player comes in just one 30GB model and is available in three colours: black, white and brown.

A European launch is expected some time next year.

Zune is designed to be used with its co-branded online music store Marketplace, where songs can be purchased for download.

The big difference between the Zune player and the iPod is that the Zune is wireless. The player comes with a Wi-Fi connection which will allow users to share music with other Zune users. Tracks may be shared with up to three other Zune owners, although shared songs will delete themselves after three days. Unlike the iPod, the Zune also includes an FM radio.

Microsoft hopes these features will help it corner some of the digital music player market dominated by rival Apple.

However, in what is sure to be an unpopular move, songs bought from Microsoft's own MSN music store - which is being closed down - will not work on a Zune player.

Instead Zune users must buy and download music from the dedicated Zune music store, or rip their own CDs and copy them onto the player.

http://www.theregister.com/2006/11/16/zune_vista_incompatible/

Windows Vista Beta Rewards
According to this news item, if you were a Windows Vista beta tester and submitted at least one bug, you get a free copy of Vista. ThatÂ’s pretty cool, beta testers perform a valuable service to companies, they deserve a free copy of the product.

If youÂ’re a Vista tester, Windows Vista Business (by default, Ultimate if you ask for it) is yours - check your email account associated with your Connect profile. If you qualify (if, that is) then youÂ’ll get a free copy in form of a unique Connect invitation to a new sub-page with the build on. You must have submitted one bug at least to get a free copy and be on the technical beta.

http://www.msblog.org/2006/11/16/msblog-exclusive-windows-vista-testers-get-free-copy-of-rtm/

This is for the Official Beta testers that have been testing it since July of 2005 when beta 1 hit. These are the same people that were officially invtied by M$ to join the Beta not those that joined when it went public.

It is the final retail version. They have it now. With a key that fully activates and works with update and all the goodies.

I dont think it is for MSDN just yet. I know MSDN people will get it soon if htey havent already.

Vista released: PC sales drop? Dealers blamed!

I'm not buying a new PC, not yet," said the angry NewsWireless reader. "I need a new computer, and I found one online - but it comes with Windows Vista! I don't want that!"

Sadly, it seem that in their enthusiasm to be seen to be as far up on Microsoft's beautiful unique marketing as possible, several online PC stores have been advertising "With Windows Vista!" for their computers.

This is, to put it gently, an exaggeration.

Yes, Vista is available (well, it has been released to manufacture) and yes, MSDN subscribers are jamming its servers in an attempt to download a copy. And yes, corporate subscribers are allowed to get early access. But no, you can't go into a store and buy one, despite what it says on the adverts.

"Consumers," said Robert Epstein, in charge of Vista marketing in the UK, "won't get it till January 30. That's flat."

What these PC dealers are actually offering, he told NewsWireless, is an Express Upgrade "which is a disc which will be sent to the purchaser in February when it is released, with which they can upgrade their PC from Windows XP to Windows Vista."

Epstein says he really, really wants customers who see adverts which don't make this clear reported to him. We can help there: report it to NewsWireless, and we'll pass it on to someone senior, not just a clerk who will click the counter.

And what if you don't want Vista? Suppose you buy a computer in March next year, and still aren't impressed?

"We'll be selling Windows XP as a royalty option for at least several months after Vista ships," Epstein assured us. "I don't know for sure whether that means for the whole of 2007, but I'll find out."

So you can rush out and buy your new PC, safe in the assurance that you don't have to learn how to cope with the new Microsoft operating system. If you know how to change your display wallpaper, you won't have to re-learn. If you know how to refresh a Web page, that knowledge will stay valuable. If you've spent hours customising XP so it does what you want, you can carry on.

And if you run a PC store selling Vista with new PCs, now would be a great time to go and change the shop window display from "With Vista!" to "Vista upgrade included in price when available" - or Mr Epstein will be letting you know of his displeasure.

http://www.theregister.com/2006/11/18/reseller_vista_sales_boasts/

Pirated Vista May Be Useless
It looks like Microsoft was prepared for a leak of their upcoming OS, and has officially stated that they can easily render the pirated copies useless.

"The copies available for download are not final code and users should avoid unauthorized copies which could be incomplete or tampered. This unauthorized download relies on the use of pre-RTM [release-to-manufacture] activation keys that will be blocked using MicrosoftÂ’s Software Protection Platform. Consequently, these downloads will be of limited value," the statement said.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/11/15/HNpiratedvistauseless_1.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom