secondary HDD problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

snypercore

Daemon Poster
i have just been given a 20GB IDE HDD, my curretn master drive is conencted to the master end of the primary IDE cable and my new one the same cable but the slave. i have tried the jumpers in every position but i cnat get this HDD to work. at one point i booted to windows, windwos added it and under my computer it was there but with no size shown and when i tried to open it it said the drive need formatting when i click ok the max capacity was 1.98GB but the drive is 100% a 20GB??? i have tried bootin with windows disk and formatting but windows setup cant find it. depending on where my jumpers are my BIOS will say its connected...any suggestions. BTW i am a bit stumped for jumpers as this one has so many options

it has the slave option under :

16 heads
15 heads
2GB clip
Auto Spin disable

which do i need?

It sounds like your hard drive is knackered. When you say you where given this hard drive, was it working fine before or has it been in someone's draw for 2 months? was it given to you in an anti static bag?

Don't put the jumper on the 2GB clip position. It will "clip" your disk to 2GB.

Set both disks to Cable Select (CS).

still nothing, didnt even show up on bios post that time. is this disk just had it or could it be something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom