Okay, I switched to Ubuntu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The General

Banned
Yes, yes, I know, shame on me. 6.10 has proven to me that Ubuntu is worth using. Here's why I switch, what I like about it, and what I don't like about it:

I switched because I screwed up my install of Debian beyond repair (I dist-upgraded and it broke nvidia direct rendering, dunno why)... and I figure what the hey, I'll give Ubuntu a try, it can't be that bad considering a LOT of people use it. :p

Good:
  • Boot time is ridiculously fast, and I don't have to look at text, X is loaded insanely early, so I see a boot splash which is pleasant.
  • Everything I used in Debian works the same in Ubuntu, so compatibility is not an issue.
  • More people use Ubuntu than Debian, and we all know how good a large user-base is when it comes to bug control. ;) (well, in Linux anyway, can't say the same for Windows. :p)
  • Beryl and Compiz are more stable in Ubuntu for some reason, because people who use Ubuntu like eye-candy, and the repository is better maintained. I have yet to find a dependency problem, and I found them all the time in Debian Sid.
  • Ubuntu is a usable Windows-replacement for Linux noobs, really, installation requires no previous knowledge of Linux, except for me, because I had to use LVM install which means I had to download the other ISO and install in text mode which is no biggie for me. :p
  • I like bleeding edge software, which is why I used Sid, and Ubuntu has bleeding edge software, yet somehow is more stable in my experience.

Bad:
  • Lack of dev softwares such as libc-dev on base install, gets annoying when I have to apt-get install binutils-dev, and all sorts of stuff that should be installed by default, but realistically, a noob who wants to learn linux isn't going to need stuff like that for a while, so why install it by default? :confused:
  • The whole root/sudo thing is pretty annoying, but when it comes down to it, instead of typing "su" I just have to type "sudo su" so I really don't care. It's just a pain in the arse.
  • update-notifier is installed by default, but again, noobs would have a hard time using apt in the terminal, so no biggie.
  • I have to go into gconf-editor and to add the Computer, Home Folder and Trash icons on the desktop, when they should just be there by default.
  • The baby-**** brown theme that comes with it is just ugly, I absolutely hate it.

I will be updating my switch as time goes on.

The whole root/sudo thing is pretty annoying, but when it comes down to it, instead of typing "su" I just have to type "sudo su" so I really don't care. It's just a pain in the arse.
I'm used to it now, but if you want couldn't you just add an alias to your ~/.bashrc?

I'm still using Dapper, I suppose its time for me to upgrade. Beryl's gonna be nice again, do you still gave to use XGL?

I am using the nvidia drivers, I believe its an implementation of AIGLX. I'll look into the bash thing. I mean, I could fix it easily with
Code:
#!/bin/bash
sudo su
but I want to enable it as an account, so if I wanted I could login from GDM.

Umm... How do I get icon previews in Nautilus for videos? I seem to only get them for pictures.

EDIT: fixed with:

apt-get install totem-xine

Update:

dpkg: totem-gstreamer: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you request:
totem-mozilla depends on totem-xine (>= 2.16.2-0ubuntu1) | totem-gstreamer (>= 2.16.2-0ubuntu1); however:
Package totem-xine is not installed.
Package totem-gstreamer is to be removed.
totem depends on totem-gstreamer (>= 2.16.2-0ubuntu1) | totem-xine (>= 2.16.2-0ubuntu1); however:
Package totem-gstreamer is to be removed.
Package totem-xine is not installed.
(Reading database ... 104237 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing totem-gstreamer ...
Selecting previously deselected package totem-xine.
(Reading database ... 104096 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking totem-xine (from .../totem-xine_2.16.2-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
Setting up totem-xine (2.16.2-0ubuntu1) ...

I don't need totem-gstreamer, but there still shouldn't be a problem. BTW Totem wouldn't play the videos that didn't get icon previews, in fact, Totem wouldn't play anything, but this fixed it.

TheRecluse said:
sudo passwd root

problem solved.

Awesome, I didn't even think of that. :eek:

OMG! If you go to System -> About Ubuntu -> What is Linux?

What is Linux?

The Linux kernel, pronounced
'lee-nucks' is the heart of the Ubuntu operating system.
A kernel is an important part of
any operating system, providing the communication bridge between
hardware and software.

LEE-NUCKS?!?! WTF?!?! Shall I pull up the recording of LINUS FREAKING TORVALDS saying "This is Linus Torvalds, and I pronounce 'Linux' (LIN'-Əx)" ???!!! I hate it when people call it LEE-nucks. I just want to strangle them.

The General said:

LEE-NUCKS?!?! WTF?!?! Shall I pull up the recording of LINUS FREAKING TORVALDS saying "This is Linus Torvalds, and I pronounce 'Linux' (LIN'-Əx)" ???!!! I hate it when people call it LEE-nucks. I just want to strangle them.
hahaha, you should file a bug report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom