need new PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSmoove

Solid State Member
Hey guys. Just this morning when i tried to turn on my comp, my PSU died after about 20 seconds. So i suppose i need a new one now. It didnt smoke or anything. It just died. When i plug it in and try to turn on my computer it gives a small "bzzz" sound like the fan is trying to kick in and thats it.

I'm thinking of this http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-163-018&depa=1

My old one was a 400W Duro (never heard of it before, was probably just crap)

I kept getting lots of errors when i would play my games. I thought it was a virus or something, but perhaps my vid card just wasnt getting enough power. Either way i need a new one.

I was wondering if that PSU is to powerful? If there can be such a thing.

Here is my setup

WinXP
768MB PC2100 RAM
Ge-Force FX 5700 ultra 128MB
80Gig HD
Asus A7V333-X Motherboard

you can't overpower your computer with a PSU thats too big. Let me clue you in on something obvious though: 580W for $35 = piece of crap. if you want a good budget model look up the enlight 420watt on newegg.

my 300w recently failed because i overloaded, i got a really good onwe from antec 480w trueblue. its got 2 fans amd very quiet, it worth looking up, i recommend it.

ekÆsine said:
you can't overpower your computer with a PSU thats too big. Let me clue you in on something obvious though: 580W for $35 = piece of crap. if you want a good budget model look up the enlight 420watt on newegg.

I've never heard of someone damaging their pc because of a psu that was too powerful. Seeming how the psu would regulate the power output based on the systems demand I don't see how that would happen.

It isn't possible to overpower it. You may be going with a little bit of overkill though, not many systems need that much power.

good question. if his computer is still making a "bzzzz" sound that might mean his motherboard fried and not his power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom