Installing SATA drive - won't boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snump

In Runtime
I have a Gigabyte GA-8ik1100 with SATA. I bought a 250GB SATA drive, used drove clone - a freeware utility to copy the Windows partition over to the new drove from my IDE drive. The coppy appears tohave worked. I remove the old IDE drive and the system will not boot. It sees the drive in the POST and BIOS.
When I tried to install Windows - it won't see the drive either.
I went into the BIOS auto detected each drive and it does indeed see the drive

What am I doing wrong?
I tried setting the jumper to 150bit and CSS mode - same thing.
Also, the hard drive light is dim - not flashing.

You may have to install the SATA Drivers before the installation for windows to see the Drive.

My reccomendation is to use Nlite to Intergrate them into the CD.
Just google it.

Your other option is to use the Utility CD provided by the motherboard to install them. In some cases you have to create them using a Floppy on another PC.

Ste said:
You may have to install the SATA Drivers before the installation for windows to see the Drive.

My reccomendation is to use Nlite to Intergrate them into the CD.
Just google it.

Your other option is to use the Utility CD provided by the motherboard to install them. In some cases you have to create them using a Floppy on another PC.

You mean use that option to install third party SCSI drivers? Does it treat SATA as SCSI?

Windows saw the drive after I loaded the drive in Windows when I was still booting off the EIDE drive. It formatted and received letter J:.

Ah ha... I have a few choices... so I'll try each one. My boarde manual isn't clear as to which Intel controller I have.
There are five or six choices...

You can usually fix it if you boot up with the Windows CD, hit F6 to load the SCSI/RAID(SATA) driver, and then doing a repair install, as in making like you're going to reinstall the entire system until setup detects the previous installation and asks you if you want to repair it.

That will re-write the boot configuration with the proper storage driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom