Cable Modem Ethernet Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snapple

Baseband Member
I've been having a problem. When I connect my Modem to my PC through Ethernet, I can't get a connection.

When I connect throgh USB, it pops right up, I get my IP Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers.

Now, I have the p5b-e mobo, ethernet onboard and all that, and the ethernet card is working.

I've come across this problem b/c I need to setup a wireless network with this computer as the Main and my other (no so close) through a wireless card.

I've tried pretty much every setup I can think of, and it simply doesn't work if I connect the modem through USB to establish a connection with the computer and use the ethernet with the router.

If you can help I'd appreciate it.

Let me clarify: Are you trying to connect straight from your computer to the modem with ethernet? Is this working or not?

When you connect to the modem using USB, everything works fine?

If you are trying to connect 2 computers to a router it should be setup like this:

MODEM<------------>Router<--------->Computers

Setting up through USB i'm good to go.

Setting up directly through ethernet, MODEM-> Computer = Fail.

Setting up through ethernet Modem->Router<-->Computer=Fail.

I've tried a new modem, pci ethernet adapter, and now a usb ethernet adapter, still nothing.

I'm close to giving up.

1) Does your computer grab a private IP (192.168.xxx.xxx) when connected to the router?

2) When connected straight to the modem, does your computer grab any IP address?

3) What happens when you go to repair your connection (this can be done through the Network Connections menu)? Or, if you type ipconfiig /renew in your command prompt?

4) In the network connections menu, does your ethernet connection show as enabled?

1.) Yes, through usb
2.) Yup
3.) Cannot renew IP (while trying to repair). When I go to the command prompt and try ipconfig it automatically closes, so I go to the troubleshooter, it opens up the command prompt for me, then I've done IPConfig /all. I get timed out. (This is through ethernet).
4.) Enabled, yes. It is set to automatically obtain an IP and DNS server. It does, but the IP and DNS aren't followed by a default gateway, secondary dns, and the sub mask is 255.255.0.0, when working, my sub mask is 255.255.248.0.

-I've tried the usb-ethernet network adapter, and the issue remains, "Limited or No Connectivity."

I resolved my problem, but thanks anyway Elb.

Simple powercycle of the modem did the trick.

Now, I have another problem.

I can connect directly Computer->Modem through ethernet, but when I hook up the router, I "connect" but not to a valid IP/DNS and I do not actually get a connection.

So, I can't connect after I have the router in between. Modem->router<->computer=Fail.

Snapple said:
I resolved my problem, but thanks anyway Elb.

Simple powercycle of the modem did the trick.

I was just going to say to do that. When you connect a Cable modem directly to the PC, it binds itself with the Mac address of that network card or USB adapter in your case. You cant just unplug and switch ports without first cycling the power of the cable modem. Then it will bind with the mac of the ethernet card.

Of course the easiest way is to put a router in between the 2, then you can swap all you want without any problems or rebooting the cable modem. But if you ever connect your computer directly to the cablem modem, then it is bound by Mac address and you have to cycle the power on the cable modem to get it to see the new NIC.

Now I just need help connecting to the internet with the router between the modem and computer.

It hasn't been working for me... Anyone with ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom