help with choosing.. a Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea, but it means you're paying for stuff you don't need. if he could spend the same amount on a bike without suspension and fancy graphics, he'd be investing in better components and a better frame.

also, weight=momentum, so he may use a little more effort to get up to speed but use less effort maintaining it. a lighter bike will be an all-around better choice. better handling and control.

personally, I would Not buy a bike without rear suspension
(old bike didn't have it)

and fancy graphics?

I thought that neon green next looked pretty good

my bike is blue and silver, says mongoose, and efx... and it suits me just fine

idk... to each his own I suppose

but if I were " homerj14" and I was only using it for a season or so, I would go for an even cheaper one

it could easily last a year or two with proper care:

I would consider the ones on this page(except for the roadmasters):
http://www.walmart.com/search/searc...125872.330845+500000.500002+500733.4293925422

and this would probably be my first choice:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2513008

Juice Daddy said:
I love my rear suspension, and it's not heavy at all... entire bike is around 20~30lbs

what kind of bike is it? what kind of frame? is it a store brand? if so, these are my concerns:

if it's an alluminum, i wouldn't be surprised if it weighed around 30 pounds, but would be weary of the strength. store brands are notorious for having alluminum frames bend and sometimes buckle under heavy off-road use because of their use of cheaper alloys and improper welding.

if it's cromoly steel (pretty standard material for most bike frames) there's almost no chance it weighs under 30 lbs. for a dual-suspension cromoly bike to weigh under 30 lbs. you'd be paying in excess of $500 for such high-quality parts.

if it's made of standard steel, well, then there's no way it weighs less than 35 lbs.

You should try out a nice high-end alluminum frame bike at a shop one day. You'll be amazed at how heavy your bike really is. A good quality bike should weight no more than 25lbs, preferrably closer to 20 if there's no rear suspension.

of course, if you paid alot of money for a nice dual-suspension bike, disregard everthing i just said :D

Juice Daddy said:
personally, I would Not buy a bike without rear suspension
(old bike didn't have it)

all a rear suspension does is slow you down. it sucks up energy from your pedaling strokes and makes the bike weight more. if you ever did any off-road riding you would fall far behind your friends with no fork or just a front fork.

when you're riding a bike, your elbows and knees are your suspension. anything else, like i said, sucks up your energy and weighs you down.

~sigh~

he never said he wanted to race, nor did he mention anything about a mountain...

besides, when on trails, you turn the suspension up to compensate,

right now, since I only ride on streets, I have my suspension lowered... (provides a comfortable cushioned ride)

lol, I'm sure you would fall far behind with "no fork" :p

edit:
here's mine
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2513016
mine is blue and silver though...

don't know how I would live without it :)

says the shipping weight is 43lbs..., so I suppose it is heavier than my estimate... oh well, still light enough for me

demand for the product is high, so they can raise the price to a certain extent without affecting sales.

in the U.S., the demand for those bikes isn't high enough to raise prices that much---sales would likely decline.

id go fot the 26" Mens' Mongoose Blackcomb Mountain Bike, its hard to find bikes with disk brakes for 3 bills. here in canada a bike with disk brakes and only front suspention cost like 7 bills.

But again its pointless to buy a bike when in a year or 2 ur gonna plan to buy a car anyway, unless ur under 16 then thats a different story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom