No sound!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sambase

Solid State Member
Hi,

I recently purchased a computer which is the Phillips Freeline LS1000. Everything was working fine on the machine until i reformatted it 2 days ago. I have troubleshooted it as far as my knowledge will allow me, but with no success. Here is my problem:

After reformatting and installing a new copy of WXPPro, everything works fine apart from the sound. I have installed drivers for the sound which is Realtek AC97 onboard. The drivers are model specific for the compupter i have which i downloaded from 'The Tech Guys' website which is a new service opened recently by PCWorld.

The reason i am thrown off totally by this is because when i go to device manager, it states that all the sound items are working fine and theres no issues at all.

Yet, when i got to windows volume control it says no sound devices are installed..??

I have also installed the drivers for the motherboard itself.

The only thing i could think of trying after this was changing the IRQ for some of the devices incase there was a conflict for that reason. After changing all the IRQ's in the bios i still had the same problem and have since reverted back to default IRQ's.

If anyone can help this will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for long text,

Thanks,

Sam

on the sound and audio devices properties under the hardware menu does it say that all devices are working properly, and under the audio menu is ur Realtek AC97 set as default device?

BTW do u have any other sound devices besides the Realtek?

Thanks for your reply.

Under Sound and audio devices there are no changable options indicating that it has not picked up any hardware. Which is strange as i know the hardware works fine because it did before the format.

All devices under device manager show as working fine. Mind you, there is nothing in there about the onboard sound. Just audio codecs etc.

EDIT:

No other sound devices. Just Realtek AC97 onboard.

Yes all updates are done.

EDIT:

SP2 installed with windows installation aswell.

1.) try uninstalling and reinstalling driver
Realtek AC'97

1. Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel
2. Double-click on Sound Effect Manager
3. Click on the Sound Effect tab
4. In the Karaoke section take the tick out of the Voice Cancellation to restore the vocals
(the driver screen below may differ in layout and number of tabs but in most cases there is a Sound Effect/Karaoke section)

audio settings image

Note: The distorted vocals are caused by the KEY setting below the Voice Cancellation tick box, if you want to use the karaoke function but vocals are not completely removed then try adjusting this setting.

2.) 1. Right click on My Computer
Select and click Properties
Click on Hardware

Click on Device Manager

Double click DVD-ROM/CD-ROM to bring up the drive properties

Click on Properties

Remove the check from the box marked Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device

Then click on OK and then Apply to confirm the changes.

2. Open Windows® Media Player by clicking Start > Programs > Windows Media Player
Click on Tools
Click on Options

Click on Devices

Ensure the CD/DVD Drive is Highlighted and then click Properties

Enable Analog playback.
Click on Apply and OK to confirm the changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom