New Hard Drive Install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MoMan813 said:
I dont even know what SP-1 is, but is there a way for me to find that out. And I couldnt find anything about admin in control panel.

Just as a quick FYI,

If you want to see if you have SP1 installed all you have to do is click on Start > Run and type in WINVER

You will get a window telling you what OS you are running, what software built, how much memory and if you have the service pack or not.

I attached a picture for your convenience.

Attachments

• winver.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 22
There are two jumpers on the back of the drive. One is on the slave, and another one is covering one pin in the top right corner of the pins. I had never seen the one covering only one pin before, but I have never put this new of a hard drive in a comp, does that have anything to do with it or is it supposed to be there?

MoMan813 said:
does that have anything to do with it or is it supposed to be there?

The drive should have a jumper diagram, a picture that tells you how the jumpers are suppose to go. Make sure that it is setup as slave, like apokalipse mentioned, there is a possibility that the drive is reduced (storage available) by a jumper.

Well, when I go to the microsoft update site, it says that I already have service pack 1 installed, but when I ran WINVER, it doesnt say anything about service pack 1 like in the pic...should I uninstall the downlaod and reinstall it?

Is there anywhere else I can download service pack 1 cause I cant get it to work for some reason from the windows update site?

MoMan813 said:
Well, when I go to the microsoft update site, it says that I already have service pack 1 installed, but when I ran WINVER, it doesnt say anything about service pack 1 like in the pic...should I uninstall the downlaod and reinstall it?

Rigth click my computer, click properties, underneath system it will tell you if you have a service pack installed, if not it wont say service pack anything... If you dont have it installed go to the microsoft website and download the installation package and install it without using windows update. BTW- IE can have its own Serice pack 1 without windows actually having its service pack...

That site takes you to windows update to download it and I cant get it to work....when I went to microsfot's website the only thing I could find was called Office XP Developer Edition Service Pack 1...is that the right thing?

I went ahead and downloaded it and when I tried to install it, it said that I didnt have the right program to update it...lol....so I guess that wasnt it.

Well, I found out that I had a few registrys were corrupted and I fixed them and it downloaded fine. So, now I have Service Pack 1 and so far, I can still only get the computer to read 31GB of the 160GB. Is there something else I need to do now that I have SP1 installed. Thanks for the help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom