Computer Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireboat

Beta member
What I was planning on doing was just replacing the existing motherboard and CPU for a faster motherboard and CPU.

I would like to know whether I could keep the existing OS and all the files safe on the hard drive instead of re-installing the OS again and formatting the drive.

Can I just unplug the hard drive until the BIOS is setup and then plug it in again expecting it to load up just like it used to? :confused:

no, you will have to reload the OS again due to the new drivers for the mobo. you can move all your files and what not onto another drive... that will save all your data at least...

Thanks Nukem, but there is another question. I currently have two hard drives on the computer, one the "C" drive and another which in my case is the "J" drive. This is only used for additional file storage and does not contain any Windows software.

Is it possible to unplug the "J" drive, re-install the operating system on the standard "C" drive and then plug in the other hard drive after?

Will the other hard drive retain the information and just appear as drive"whatever" again or will it need re-installing/re-formatting? :confused:

Both drives are using the NTFS file system if thats important.

Yeah, they are compatible.

Just a question though... why go with a Pentium? They are hot and not so great. Have you looked at the socket 939's from AMD? While they aren't the top of the line now, they are cheap and really work well.

A 3400+ is equal to or better than a 3.4 P4. The X2 line are dual core.

mainly before you build this computer what will you be doing with it ? games ? video editing ? what that would help in your search for a mobo/proc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom