Heatsink Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzvii

Baseband Member
If I leave my computer on for a couple of hours, then when I come back my heatsink isn't spinning and doesn't, even though my CPU is at 60c. I need to turn off the powersuply then turn it on and start the computer again to make it work. How do I fix this?

My specs:
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6300

GPU - eVGA 256-P2-N584-AR Geforce 7900GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Mother Board - GIGABYTE GA-965G-DS3 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel G965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

PSU - HIPER HPU-4K580-MS ATX12V 580W Power Supply - Retail

RAM - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400 - Retail

Oops, posted in wrong thread

I think you meant the fan isn't spinning. Make sure you seated the heatsink and fan correctly. You can try taking it off and putting it back on.

Thats pretty high, My suggestion would be to go out and get a Copper Heatsink with some Artic silver 5 and Get a fan with a Molex Connector and a Single yellow wire to be plugged into the Motherboard Connector. My tornado (The fan on my Heatsink) Has this. When i bought the Aftermarket Heatsink i removed the stock Fan and screwed A tornado on it. I used a Molex Connector so It would Always stay on and connect a Single Yellow wire to the 3 Pin Connector on the motherboard. This allowed the fan to stay on all the time and for the motherboard to see that a CPU fan is connected.

However: A cheaper option would be to first enter the CMOS Setup and look for an option reguarding CPU Fan control. It may or may not be there. The next cheapest Option would be to just replace the stock fan with something Like I suggested. One in which it has a molex connector and a Single yellow wire to connect to the motherboard.

Yeh I meant that the fan wasn't spinning. It cycles on and off, but if I leave it on for a few hours it just doesn't start moving again, and I have to restart the computer for it to work.
baronvongogo said:
my CPU fan starts and stops which was to do with the safety controls in the BIOS I turned those off and now it runs full speed it could be that.
I looked, but I couldn't find that option. Where is it?

should be under power management or health status. Look for the page that shows CPU temp and fan speed then start changing some of the settings.

if smart fan is in the settings change it to disabled.

all you really need on that page is warning temp alarm apart from that the rest should be on disabled.

baronvongogo said:
should be under power management or health status. Look for the page that shows CPU temp and fan speed then start changing some of the settings.

if smart fan is in the settings change it to disabled.

all you really need on that page is warning temp alarm apart from that the rest should be on disabled.

I just did that, and now my CPU is at 20c instead of 25c :)
EDIT: About a minute later, I opened Everest Home (I was looking at the temps in Easy Tune 5) And after a couple seconds in Easy Tune 5 the temp climbed up to 80c . Probably would have gone higher, but I turned computer off. When I started it, a beeping noise. So I waited liek 15 minutes, started it, beeping noise still, so i kept it on for long enough to get to BIOS setup and turned it back to how it was before. It's working fine now. Why did this happen?>

What do I check about for the thermal paste? I'm pretty sure than the heat sink and fan are positioned good.

Check the thermal paste is spread nicely over the CPU and there is enough on it. I would load up to the BIOS temp screen and leave it for 10 mins and keep an eye on it. If it stays steady for 10-20 minutes then Id think its ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom