e6400 a bit warm - can't get it under 42c!

Status
Not open for further replies.

regeisle

In Runtime
I was excited when I read that the core 2 duo's run much cooler than P4's, considering I had heat problems with my P4 2.8.

SO... I got my e6400 core 2, built the system last w/e with the stock cooler / thermal pad and was idling around 51c - no good. Reinstalled the h/s a few times and didn't drop below 50. Decided to order the Artcic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Got it today, installed fine w/ the pre-applied stuff (at least from what I could tell with the new pushpin system) and now I'm idling about 42c, hitting 47-50c under a moderate load.

MY QUESTION... I'm not planning to o/c, so am I safe with these temps? I'm sure I'll hit 55 or so when I get a few big files open and start processing some actions. I've reset the h/s enough times in the mobo that at this point I'd need to take everything out and install the hs outside of the case to make sure it's perfectly attached. Not worth the hassle though, if other people are seeing these temps w/o overclocking and w/ an aftermarket cooloer. From what I've read, temps are all across the board, from 30c idle with stock cooler, to 50c idle with aftermarket cooler - so it seems like it's an installation issue. I also know it needs some break in time, and these temps are after 1 hr. Should I just let it run overnight and see how it measures in the am? These temps are from Asus "Probe" program - I can't check them in bios b/c the hardware monitor feature just freezes the bios for 10 min +.

Sorry to ramble - I was probably overestimating how cool this thing would run, but I also want to make sure I'm not 15c warmer than I could be for no good reason.

More specs - the sonata2 has that one 12cm rear fan, that I have running on high. Mobo temps (from the Asus probe) are 36-38c. That's the only case fan, but I've heard it's plenty. If I can give any other info, let me know.

Thanks all

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom