building a server

Status
Not open for further replies.
you build a computer....thats it.

depends what you need it to do. file and print server can be a pIII with 128 ram. A server to run apps off of your gonna need alittle more power. also depends how many people need to access it.

so let us know what your needs are for it.

anything can be a file server, like i said up there something as little as a pIII with a big enough hard drive to hold your files. but you dont need anything special.

depending on the enviroment you can even just use windows xp pro to just share out the files and set permissions on the folders.

I for example a while back got a rank mount server to host games onto; no luck so far, my main computer is kinda messed up, so there is no point for running it. Cost me only 499$+ tax (originally 699+ tax).

Servers are quite inexpensive. You can rent a file server for under 20$ a month i believe.

rack mounts are for companys, it makes no sense for a home user to have a rack mount server, when its the same exect thing as a tower, no diff at all exect the size and being able to put like 20 of them on a rack.

renting a file server for 20 bucks a month when you can use a 200 dollar machine to do it for you is pointless and waste of money.

real servers are very expensive, your looking at up into $14,000 from dell for a good server to be able to handle applications. but like i said you dont need that to share files.

Computers are computers are computers.

A server is only a server because it serves a purpose.

They have special hardware that is better for those types of things, but it's not necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom