What's this all about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The General

Banned
In Linux and Windows when I start to play a video of any kind, the screen turns off and back on again. Very quickly, its like the screen blinks. Hah. Oh, and when I play a computer game, it does it about every 35 seconds. Please tell me its my video card, so that I can have an excuse to get an 8800GTS... :p

Well no one can give you a for sure answer that it is your video card.
Could be a number of things.
Bad power supply
Ram
And yes it is possible that it still could be software related.

visit

PC Pitstop
and compare results (full test) to others to help find out what it may be.

AquaMark 3
Benchmark your system.

Do you have the latest direct X?

It is either:

1. My monitor.
2. My DVI cable, or
3. My video card

I put my video card in my other computer (plugged in with the same DVI cable and monitor and video card) and it does the same thing.

I can't install the latest DirectX, because I am not using Windows. I was experiencing the problem in Linux, so I temporarily installed Windows to see if it would do the same thing (and to play the BF2142 demo, which made me not want to buy it) and it did do the same thing, so I no longer have Windows.

Okay wasn't aware you had done a test with another computer. that would eliminate
Power supply
Ram ext..
when posting on computer troubles it is always best to post the problem in full detail and what already has been done to troubleshoot the issue.
I would say you are correct that it would be 1 of the 3.
Have you eliminated heat as an possibility?
open the side of the computer take a house fan blow it directly into the computer case. if it still does it then it is probably not heat related.
from that point i would lean to a bad card.

Heat is not a problem, I have a VF900 on it, and if heat were the problem it would have happened a long time ago.

and if heat were the problem it would have happened a long time ago.

Not really, dust, failing fan many other reasons resulting in heat can show up at anytime.

Anyways It seems you already know what the problem is and have an attitude towards any troubleshooting ideals that may lead up to the problem. Just tell your mom you want a new video card and be done with it.

schusterjo said:
and if heat were the problem it would have happened a long time ago.

Not really, dust, failing fan many other reasons resulting in heat can show up at anytime.

Anyways It seems you already know what the problem is and have an attitude towards any troubleshooting ideals that may lead up to the problem. Just tell your mom you want a new video card and be done with it.

My mom? I was thinking I'd just tap into that saving account of mine and buy it myself ... I don't know if my mom would know or care if her 25 year old son wanted a new video card. ;)

I just need an excuse to buy an 8800GTS. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom