Windows will not install on a SATA HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

slvrstang

Daemon Poster
it just says no hard drive connected when i run windows setup

i have 1 120GB SATA Western Digital HD

???

Do you have the disk that came with the drive?

During the OS setup, it will ask you for "third party" drivers, make sure you select that and pop in your disk. It needs the drives on that disk in order to recognize the drive.

Make sure your BIOS recognizes the new HDD before proceeding further. If it doesn't recognize it, you probably have the incorrect jumper settings. If it does recognize it, it's a different story then.

In which case you will need to verify that reports the full capacity of the HDD - all 120 GB. As Holocron said, you willl need the 3rd party floppy diskette when you install the OS.

(You might want to flash your BIOS from the MB manufacturer website if your BIOS doesn't see the HDD).

actually, best thing is to first ver that you're XP install disk is a newer one that comes with SP1, if using XP. XP will NOT recognize a SATA drive correctly unless it has SP1. You could always slipstream, but an easier way is to just go into bios, find a place in there (you'll have to do some detective work) for the SATA settings and set the HD to IDE compatable mode. Then finish the installation (I would disable the bios virus protection, too as a precaution). Once this is done and XP is finished (assuming it IS XP) then download SP1. After that go back into BIOS and reenable SATA support and virus boot prot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom