[ASK]Performance bottleneck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Full_n_Spills

Solid State Member
i'm planning to upgrade my video card and i wonder will my processor be the performance bottleneck? eg. playing F.E.A.R., Splinter Cell Double Agent.

processor: sempron 2600+ S754 overclocked to 1.94Ghz
RAM: 1GB DDR400
graphic card: 256MB ATI X300

planing to upgrade graphic card to nVidia 7300GT

Opinion please.
Thanks.

Yes it would... If you insist on going AMD then get a S754 AMD 64 like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103605R

That would peform alot better game wise than your Sempron. And as for the video card I need to know a budget first. And also what Graphical Interface you have (AGP,PCI-E etc) and it woudnt be wise to get a 7300GT.

Post back with your Graphical Interface and your Budget and I will continue to help you

My graphical interface is PCI-E
my budget is around a 7300GT price.. it's about RM350 here (malaysia currency) convert to USD is about USD$96

my budget will be enough to upgrade graphic card for now. so later i will get a AM2 dual core when i save enough $.

gmanych said:
Yes it would... If you insist on going AMD then get a S754 AMD 64 like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103605R

That would peform alot better game wise than your Sempron.

Umm :confused: There's not really too much of a performance increse,I've been there and done that,My old sempron 2600+ running @ 2.2 is pretty much on par with my 64 3000+ @ 2.3,In all the 3dmark score's the sempron was only off by a couple point's ;)

Bottlenecks don't exist. Moving right a long.

The General has spoken, as the ranking officer in my absence his word is Law. basically he is right. there is this big floating load of crap surrounding bottlenecks. yes they exist. no they don't exist here, nor in most cases. these so called cpu bottlenecks are only visible at low resolution where a half decent video card can do it's maximum amount of work, leaving the cpu to do it's best. with the video card running full blast the only performance difference noticeable at low resolutions will be provided by more powerful processors.

maybe i misinterpreted the word bottleneck, but what i really wanna ask, is, e.g.
running F.E.A.R., at lowest resolution, with all setting to maxed out,
my sempron paired with x300 or 7300GT will make any difference at all, or huge improvements(in fps)?
and will the performance gain(in fps) stay the same if i use a lower range graphic card such as 7300GS, x550, etc. (if yes, then my processor is the bottleneck)

i hope i make my question clearer now.
thanks for all the useful replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom