help with building new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobynoob

Beta member
Alright, I think its about time to upgrade my computer. I want to buy a new motherboard but I have no idea where to start. All that I have upgraded in the past was RAM and I also put in a new gfx card. I'm thinking of going intel for a board but if there is a reason to have an AMD board, then tell me! Now, Im looking for new motherboard that has atleast one pci-e slot for a newer graphics card. Im not really sure what else I should be looking for in a motherboard, but I really do not know.

Also, some of the new processers are confusing. Ive looked at the new core 2 duo processors on newegg and their total speed in GHz seems kinda low. Is the total speed what is on the box or is it added together. Like what Im asking is if i have a 1.5 GHz dual core processor will I be able to run a game that requires 3.0 GHz? Id imagine so, but I am just wondering.

Also what is a good amount of ram to buy for a new motherboard? Oh, and also, what kind of power supply should I get to support my new hardware?

I dont want top of the line stuff, but I want some stuff that will last me a year or two. Or more .

Well thanks for taking a look at this thread and thanks again to anyone who can help!

well for ram i would say at least a gig ..... for 1 pcie card and averages stuff a 500 watt should be good.... and im not pos bout the dual coe situation but yea hit shoudl run games that say that.... its low ghz bc its different archtechture...

a x6800 is 2.93ghz that means 2.93ghz per core. one good reason not to go amd AMD sux along with ATI. If your planning on going vista at least 2 gigs of ram will do ya. I would suggest a good name brand mobo with support for SLI if you plan on using 2 gfx cards. basically a mobo with up to 4gb and sockt 775 for conroe an e6600, and your set personally i'd got with an Nforce 680 chipset

AMD is the **** and ATI isnt bad either

if what ive been hearing/reading about AMD 4X4 technology it will blow Intel away with its 12MB l2 cache

And ATI R600 i belive will kill the 8800's

you cant really say which is better because they are constantly outdoing eachother they are all great companies and have their strong points

jeez. some people feel strongly about amd. i love my amd. i would probably love an intel. also. 187, amd doesnt suck too bad...because i can play anything you can, patnah. but you do get six million framerates and blah blah.
dude, do your research and get what's right for your usage and budget.
but beware of the "get this because i have it and i am omniscient" syndrome you may find on this forum. there are a few of those, but many more who can give you USEFUL information about whatever choice you make.

Would any of you guys recommend a specific manufacturer of motherboards? ASUS seems pretty popular through what Ive seen would anyone recommend those?

fade and naga are totally right they re constanly out doing themselves but .. ati did/ does have some driver support issues ... ppl complain about but i havent come across any ..... so its all about the dough and what you may personally like..... and if you are non biased it may make you decision alitle easyier.... lol

^^^ asus are good gigabyte are good msi have been around a while asuse and gigy have the best oc board right now .. but biostar arent bad for average users

i love biostar boards.

they are perfect for people who want a bad *** system but are on a budget. they have great onboard video too

first of all nagasama i would like to tell you something you might not know about me "I smoke rocks" lol, and fade as discussed before amd's 4x4 will be a quad socket for servers using fx-62 dual cores for a total of 16 cores. biostar also is good board, i got one in the living room and it OC's well too. On a different not im still waitiong for the BFG Nforce680I mobos but still no luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom