Windows 2003/Win9x Mapped Drive Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

sokignano

Beta member
Heres my problem, I'm running Windows 2003 as a fileserver for about 150 - 200 computers most of them WinXP and Win9x well the WinXP machines work fine with accessing shares and for mapped drives, but some of the Win9x machines will not keep a mapped drive, example:

I put in my username and password (which is no password) and It attempts to a drive a message pops up and says cannot be mapped would you like to try at startup next time. I say yes, then I right click on My Computer-Map Drive-\\server\folder and get Not availible. Then I double click on My Computer and put in the location manually in the address bar \\server\folder and it goes right to the folder on the server then I go try to remap the drive and it works. Then thinking everything is ok now, I restart the computer to make sure everything took. I hit enter at the Username/Password screen, I get the same message as before Cannot be mapped. Thats not the exact message but thas what is saying.

And the username has admin rights on the folder, and the computer. full controll.

Any help would be great. Thank you very much for your time.
Brian

Here is the copy of my batch file. I can't help you get it to run because i don't have access to my server. Sorry.
@echo off
net use /persistent:no
net use * /delete /y
net use h: \\servername\userid
net use e: \\servername\drive1
net use f: \\servername\drive2
net use o: \\servername\drive3
\\server name\netlogon\install.bat

Are you using the server name or IP address of the server? I would suggest using the IP address instead of the server name for the UNC.

Oh..I'm not sure how many 2003 can host per connection but I believe it's not limited. However I have notice at my college it seems to do the same thing but with only 20 or less users, this was a network problem like a hub. You might also check the network card and the network equipment also! Just a thought.

Good news for me, I talked with the higher up in the building that i work in and looks like i'm getting rid of all of the Win9x computers in the lab as well as the classrooms and filling the empty spots in the lab with extra winxp machines in the classrooms till we get more money to replace the lab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom