windows xp freezing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinman

Beta member
after starting windows xp just after the desktop appears it freezes. If I reboot it freezes again several times. On the 6th attempt it starts ok and runs normally for as long as the pc is on...
In event viewer it lists msi errors for each time it froze. Also after booting a version svchost.exe (system) seems to eat up 99% of my cpu resources for several seconds. I have scanned for viruses, spyware and other obnoxious elements but it still happens. How do I fix this without doing a windows repair?

windows xp home
amd athlon 1800xp
120gb hard drive
1gb ram

what all do you have running in msconfig>startup?

run ccleaner and cleanup!

then go to start run type in msconfig, press ok. Go to the startup tab, then unchecl everything but your antivirus and firewall if you have one and then press ok but dont reboot yet. Then download msconfig cleanup in my guide below and run it. Click on select all and then remove the entries, reboot and see what happens

update

have carried out the above and so far have not had windows slowing up on me. Have checked event viewer and there are no warning messages for msi installer as of just now. Proof of the pudding will be when I start fresh tomorrow I suppose.

I will update again tomorrow to let you know if I'm still having problems. Thanks for your help........... so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom