oil cooled PC advice..

Status
Not open for further replies.
gas, liquid, their all fluids... they just have different density to viscosity ratios. they fundamentallly behave the same way though.

make sure you use Q synthetic motor oil so you can " get the most horses out of your CPU".......:)

but seriously....i would use some kind of water pump to circulate the oil throughout the box.....like have it go to a reservoir outside the box and circulate back in....similar to water cooling but no tubes...lol...i know there is a link to this, i just gotta find it.

if i may make a suggestion....on that speed of processor, you'll have much better luck if you use winamp lite instead of iTunes. iTunes is very system-resource-intensive in comparison to winamp lite. plus winamp is very customizable and can play almost any audio format. also, it plays most video.

The PC is a Duron 750 with 128 mb ram. iTunes works perfectly OK - I've got a few computers on my home network - macs and PC's, and it's handy having the same music available on them all. I use VLC for video, which runs OK too.

I guess the computer is passively cooled at the moment, as I haven't added the oil, but I don't really like the idea of leaving it like that, as sometimes it gets pretty hot, and starts to get unreliable. I want to leave it permanently on, which I don't do at the moment.

I'm doing this on the cheap - really on the cheap. Oil cooling the computer means an outlay of maybe £5 for the oil, whereas buying heat pipes or quiet fans is going to cost money that I don't currently have...

I think I'll use silicone sealant for glueing the cards to the mobo - I have some standard silicone sealant and also some fishtank sealer. Anyone got any suggestions as to whether either of these will cause problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom