cool n'quite

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancec2c30

Future ex-member
Well I was using cool n'quite when I first got my computer back up and running and when I started to overclock it I noticed that it was just running full throttle again. Does cool n' quite work when the cpu is overclocked?

it's better to turn off cool'n'quite when you OC. because it'll make the CPU speed lower when it reachs certain temp. and most likely it will when you OC.

Cool 'n Quiet is junk to begin with. As said, it underclocks your CPU if it gets too hot, and OC'ing it will make it hotter...so basically you're just wasting time.

Cool n quiet doesn't underclock when the CPU gets too hot. It's supposed to underclock and undervolt when it's at idle.

I've never had it work for me even at stock clocks. :(

OpticalIllusion said:
Cool n quiet doesn't underclock when the CPU gets too hot. It's supposed to underclock and undervolt when it's at idle.

I've never had it work for me even at stock clocks. :(

That is the correct info, everyone keeps belching back the same incorrect info time and time again. Your motherboard has to support cool n quiet, and it has to turned on in the bios, I think it also needs specific drivers to turn on in windows. It might cut out for stability reasons when you overclock, as undervolting a overclocked cpu is somewatt dangerous, so lance thats probably why it cut out.

Hmmm, didn't know the temp thing.

Anyways, you said undervolting an overclocked CPU is dangerous, why's that? I was under the impression that CPUs are like people: when they don't have the energy, they don't do work.

I overclock, but I pretty much never overvolt, then again F@H is on so cool n quiet shouldn't kick in. Either way I'm not too worried.

bum said:
Hmmm, didn't know the temp thing.

Anyways, you said undervolting an overclocked CPU is dangerous, why's that? I was under the impression that CPUs are like people: when they don't have the energy, they don't do work.

I overclock, but I pretty much never overvolt, then again F@H is on so cool n quiet shouldn't kick in. Either way I'm not too worried.
When you overclock, you will eventually need to add more voltage to the CPU.

Think of an engine in your car. If you do something that adds more air to the engine you have to also add more fuel so that it won't run lean.

With a CPU, you overclock and have to add more voltage so it's not unstable.

Make sense?

yeah basically with the voltages, if the voltage of the cpu is either way too high, or too low, in reference to what the memory voltage is then there are some diodes , that I think are in the cpu that overload (they are protection for the cpu from voltage spikes actually) and a surge of voltage will run straight into the cpu core and fry it.

this is also why you dont want your memory voltage to be way high when your cpu voltage is really low. the difference in voltages between the two can overload those diodes and potentially , according to amd, fry the cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom