SLI bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

bzflag

In Runtime
I just built a new computer over the weekend with this motherboard and SLI'd the 2 video cards together. I was told that this motherboard didnt need to use the bridge between the 2 cards and the SLI could be turned on and off through the motherboard options. That works, and I seem to be able to turn it on and off but windows brings up a dialog box that says the cards arent performing as fast as they could be because i dont have the bridge in. do i need the bridge, or should I leave it how it is? I like being able to turn one off when not needed, and back on when it is.

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
2x Gigabyte GeForce 7600 GT

the bridge is needed if you want to run SLI effectively... you can still turn it on and off (I don't see why you would) but you can do that thru the properties...

yeah the SLI bridge is required to make effective use of SLI. without it the max transfer rate is limited and i would guess the overally effectiveness is reduced by the fact the cards can't communicate directly with each other.

with SLI bridge:
card>card

without SLI bridge:
card>pci-e bus>Hyper Transport>pci-e bus>card

it just takes longer for the cards to "co-operate"

So I should put the bridge on, but I could still toggle the SLI on and off with the bridge?

thought you might want to know that it's not saving any power. in fact it probably increases power consumption but i'm only guessing. the other card will still be running except i would guess as a pair they they use less power than as two seperate cards. it's hard to explain my knowledge of why they would use more power operating seperately but it makes sense in my head therefore i'm right :p

Nukem said:
yes... may I ask why you would want to turn it on or off???

I leave my computers on most of the time since I do a lot of torrenting and folding. Just trying to cut down on the heat in the case when its not needed since i bought a fanless motherboard and graphics cards so i can leave it on and still sleep at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom