CPU or Mobo dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

COD2_fanatic

Daemon Poster
I have an old P4 Prescott 3GHz and an MSI board that came out of my computer when i upgraded to AMD. It worked a couple months ago when i was messing with it but, i hooked it up just recently and it doesn't work anymore :(

It will get to the start up diagnostic display then shut off and if i try and hit the button on the keyboard it will shut off as well. I've tried a 350w PSU and a 450w PSU with no luck, i've even tried different RAM in different slots and it still doesnt work.

heres the link to the board
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=501

(note: if i can get it working is there anyway i can get some OCing options in the BIOS, cause its pretty scarce)

try poping the CMOS battery for couple minutes with no power cord connected, then hold down the front power button for 15 sec to get rid of any drop of electricity in the mobo, now put the battery back in and see if boots

seems i fixed it, i took the HSF off and noticed the heat compund wasnt spread all ove rhte CPU and bottom of the HSF, so i got to where it was and its working now.

Any reason why its idleing at 60C? seems a bit unusual

lol.... u applied 3 tubes of thermal compond to ur cpu? isnt that overkill? dont the thermal paste ooze out wen the pressure of the HSF and CPU contact?

well for one thing it does need a new heat sink and motherboard (so i can overclock a little) and i would like to start using it again as my Opty doesnt seem to be able to keep up with windows sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom