What is the standard graphics car slot, AGP or PCI-E

Status
Not open for further replies.

In Runtime
A friend of mine and I were just having a discussion about graphics cards and we weren't sure on something. Is AGP still the standard slot for graphics cards on a motherboard, or is PCI-E the new standard?

But then which one is today's standard. For example if I buy a motherboard today, or next week, or next month, is it more likely to have an AGP slot in it or a PCI-E?

if ur gettin a new mobo, get it with pci-x unless u really have to get it with agp (i wouldnt know why).

j369852147412 said:
if ur gettin a new mobo, get it with pci-x unless u really have to get it with agp (i wouldnt know why).

Lot's of people can't afford a new vid card right away so that's why you grab a board that can handle both card's like i did :D

pci-x=pci-x
pci-e=pci-express

BIG DIFFERENCE!!! here we should be talking about pci-e. this is not my usual sort of pedantic rant, pci-x is a completely different interface which is pretty much a 64 bit version of the standard PCI. it should also be noted that AGP is based on the original PCI. pci-e on the other hand was designed from the ground up to be completely different from PCI, AGP and PCI-X.

pci-e will be the new standard for the future as will digital broadcasts in 2009. but agp is still around although not many manufacturers are making new cards on it

AGP is pretty much going cold now, it was the industry standard for a long time, up to about the release of the ATI X800 series, up till then it was mainly AGP. PCI-e works on a serial bus which greatly reduces interferance, whereas PCI and AGP work on a parralell bus, AGP connects directly to the memory and the northbridge for fast data transfer. There was also a standard "VESA" but it was god-awful becuase it connected DIRECTLY to the FSB of the proessor, and with the connector producing interferance, you couldn't touch or move the computer without it rebooting.

So PCI-e is the standard now, you will rarely see a motherboard being sold thats got AGP unless its a very bottom end board.

Ruan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom